• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cold war 2.0

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No need to apologize. I'm notoriously bad at recognizing sarcasm online (actually, ever since childhood I have had a hard time telling when to take something literally and when to either read something as sarcasm or as a metaphor). My intuition is that this might be supposed to draw a parallel with accusations of antisemitism when the state of Israel (or its current government) is being criticized. Well, I also have a lot of thoughts (and a shitload of accumulated frustration and despair over mankind in general) on that but for the time being I'll not jump to conclusions and just add my previously announced two cents on China.

That was part of it, you are correct. It's not a topic I'm willing to discuss openly because I feel it puts a target on my front and my back, from people who will call me a Nazi and people who don't think I'm hardcore enough; it's a matter of experience and not just conjecture. Hence, I was trying out the idea of bringing the conversation to the surface in other ways, but I know now that this wouldn't work. I'm sorry about that, again.

It's not a topic I'm up for talking about all that much; but it is a topic I want to know more about.

Guess what, I can be annoyed by certain aspects of several parties without it turning into "bothsideism". That doesn't mean I don't have sympathies and clear leanings. Maybe it's an INTP thing, preferring to see politics as an academic exercise rather than constant foreplay to potential war that could actually get you yourself killed (after all, I wouldn't have to live under Trump (and a summary of his Time magazine interview sent shivers down my spine!!!) and so far the (proto)fascists in my own country are alive and kicking but still held at bay, so it's easy for me to point at the flaws, intellectual laziness and self-righteousness of the American and European left).
I do think the criticism of "bothsideism" is overused at this point. I want to figure out what is actually happening and that is sometimes extremely difficult. Sometimes somebody will say something, and I'll go "wait, that doesn't ring true" and I'll want to find out what's actually going on as best I can.

What would you say are the flaws of the American left? I'm not saying it so I can jump down your throat. This is of extreme interest to me.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
That was part of it, you are correct. It's not a topic I'm willing to discuss openly because I feel it puts a target on my front and my back, from people who will call me a Nazi and people who don't think I'm hardcore enough; it's a matter of experience and not just conjecture. Hence, I was trying out the idea of bringing the conversation to the surface in other ways, but I know now that this wouldn't work. I'm sorry about that, again.

It's not a topic I'm up for talking about all that much; but it is a topic I want to know more about.

I do think the criticism of "bothsideism" is overused at this point. I want to figure out what is actually happening and that is sometimes extremely difficult. Sometimes somebody will say something, and I'll go "wait, that doesn't ring true" and I'll want to find out what's actually going on as best I can.

What would you say are the flaws of the American left? I'm not saying it so I can jump down your throat. This is of extreme interest to me.
If you want to be truly hardcore, you have to show penetration. There's just no way around it. That's hardcore.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
It would prove interesting if Georgia's pro Russian government did fall, and then Russia announced the need for another Special Military Operation to clean up another outbreak of 'Nazis'.

Another front would help Ukraine, but of course suck for the Georgians. Maybe the thick skulled rest of the world would wake up to the concept that you can't appease morally bankrupt dictators with a game of real politick. Probably not, but dare to dream.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
It would prove interesting if Georgia's pro Russian government did fall, and then Russia announced the need for another Special Military Operation to clean up another outbreak of 'Nazis'.

Another front would help Ukraine, but of course suck for the Georgians. Maybe the thick skulled rest of the world would wake up to the concept that you can't appease morally bankrupt dictators with a game of real politick. Probably not, but dare to dream.

That is the thing, they just don't have the resources for another mess. What means that they would need to let them go. Over the last few months neighboring Armenia is also openly running away from Russia and they don't really have the means to prevent it. Based on treaties they should have helped Armenia fight Azerbaijan but they skipped the whole thing. Therefore now Armenia has said it is moving towards Euro-Atlantic circles, which are offering security and stability to the country.

From a few days ago.

Russia has nothing to fear from EU in South Caucasus, Armenia insists

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I'm not sure exactly what this pier is going to accomplish.

As I understand it, aid doesn't get into Gaza because the Israeli's restrict the throughput, NOT because the routes are clogged up and there is some sort of traffic jam. So I thought, this pier would bypass that and allow outside countries to send aid directly to the pier, which would flow into Gaza without Israeli intervention (maybe using UNRWA or other international aid agencies to manage things).

However, I know the US does not want boots on the ground for security.

The IDF will provide a brigade of thousands of soldiers, plus Israeli Navy ships and Israeli Air Force assets that are “dedicated to force protection of this operation specifically,” the official said.

If this is the case, how is the pier any different from the various ground crossings? If the IDF decides to restrict the flow of aid through the pier, they can easily do so. I remain unclear on what problem this pier actually addresses.

Of course, if it is just political theatre, I suppose it will work as that. Biden can say: "Look we built a pier for aid!" and the fact the flow of aid may not actually increase (unless the IDF allows it do so - which could be also accomplished by ground routes) will go unnoticed.