• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cold war 2.0

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
13640.jpeg

This is first class disaster (and continuation of a downward trend that is going on for years).
In other words less than 1% of the world lives with really good media. While satisfactory ones has less than 10%.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
13640.jpeg

This is first class disaster (and continuation of a downward trend that is going on for years).
In other words less than 1% of the world lives with really good media. While satisfactory ones has less than 10%.
I would say, depending on what state you are in, that the US is between noticeable problems and difficult situation - especially for women, LGBTQ, POC and children.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I would say, depending on what state you are in, that the US is between noticeable problems and difficult situation - especially for women, LGBTQ, POC and children.

Actually for years it was in Satisfactory group. However many said that this doesn't truly reflect reality and this year it was changed.
Therefore Noticable problems is probably more likely to be the sum of the country at this point.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I was curious about why Canada scored lower than the Scandinavian countries. Since I am familiar with Canadian media (as a resident of the country), I had my guesses and took a closer look.

The site ranks countries on five general categories. Here's how Canada did:

1) Political Indicator: Canada scored high, same color shade as top scorers (US scored one shade below)
2) Economic Indicator: Canada scored in the second shade below top scores (US scored the same)
3) Legislative Indicator: Canada scored in the second shade below top scores (US scored the same)
4) Sociocultural Indicator: Canada scored in the second shade below top scores (US scored the same)
5) Security Indicator: Canada scored high, same color shade as top scorers (US scored one shade below)

I would probably disagree with the lower score on the Legislative Indicator. I don't think the regulatory environment for journalists in Canada hampers them in any way. I agree with the other lower scores though. Newspapers and other media startups have a low chance of economic survival in Canada. This is particularly harmful as Canada has a well funded and dominant state broadcaster. This leads to bias. Also with the Sociocultural Indicator. Cancel culture is pronounced in Canada, and is especially restrictive on the state broadcaster. If they get on the wrong side of the masses, there is hue and cry which leads to government interference. So they have to sanitize everything for 'political correctness". Leads to obfuscation of the truth and a pronounced left wing bias.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I was curious about why Canada scored lower than the Scandinavian countries. Since I am familiar with Canadian media (as a resident of the country), I had my guesses and took a closer look.

The site ranks countries on five general categories. Here's how Canada did:

1) Political Indicator: Canada scored high, same color shade as top scorers (US scored one shade below)
2) Economic Indicator: Canada scored in the second shade below top scores (US scored the same)
3) Legislative Indicator: Canada scored in the second shade below top scores (US scored the same)
4) Sociocultural Indicator: Canada scored in the second shade below top scores (US scored the same)
5) Security Indicator: Canada scored high, same color shade as top scorers (US scored one shade below)

I would probably disagree with the lower score on the Legislative Indicator. I don't think the regulatory environment for journalists in Canada hampers them in any way. I agree with the other lower scores though. Newspapers and other media startups have a low chance of economic survival in Canada. This is particularly harmful as Canada has a well funded and dominant state broadcaster. This leads to bias. Also with the Sociocultural Indicator. Cancel culture is pronounced in Canada, and is especially restrictive on the state broadcaster. If they get on the wrong side of the masses, there is hue and cry which leads to government interference. So they have to sanitize everything for 'political correctness". Leads to obfuscation of the truth and a pronounced left wing bias.

Ok, but this is something that should not be the topic of overthinking. All scores are basically just approximations based on abstract and kinda subjective or inconclusive data. Therefore this doesn't have to be treated as the ultimate truth. Especially since there is surely a variety even inside various countries. However it is interesting to see this projected upon the world. Since it still provides clear big picture that is easy to grasp.

As far as legal sphere goes: that should also include the odds of private lawsuits when they are designed to cripple media (even if published info is indeed true). What is considered to be shady area that is potentially problematic.

While for Canada on the website it says:
While Canada continues to demonstrate a strong commitment to international press freedom protections and practices, there is more room for progress, particularly with regards to press coverage involving the rights of indigenous peoples and land disputes.

What basically means that there are problems in rural areas where most people don't go that often.

I went to see the details and Canada has the score of 81/100, while it needs at least 85/100 for top category. What is kinda in the margin of error and still great next most of the world.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
What is behind Russian nuclear threats?

The Kremlin appears to be re-intensifying a reflexive control campaign targeting Western decision-making using nuclear threats and diplomatic manipulation. Reflexive control is a key element of Russia’s hybrid warfare toolkit — it is a tactic that relies on shaping an adversary with targeted rhetoric and information operations in such a way that the adversary voluntarily takes actions that are advantageous to Russia.[1] Soviet mathematician Vladimir Lefebvre defined reflexive control as “the process of transferring the reasons of making a decision” to an adversary via “provocations, intrigues, disguises, creation of false objects, and lies of any type.”[2] Russia has frequently used nuclear saber-rattling throughout the course of its full-scale invasion of Ukraine to cause the West (Russia’s self-defined adversary) to stop providing military support for Ukraine, and this nuclear saber-rattling has become a frequently used form of Russian reflexive control.[3]

Russian officials, particularly Medvedev, are critical elements of Russia’s efforts to use nuclear rhetoric as a form of reflexive control, as ISW has frequently reported.[9] Russian officials consistently time nuclear readiness exercises and vague threats of nuclear retaliation with important Western policy decisions regarding the war in Ukraine to force Western decision-makers to self-deter and temper their support for Ukraine. The current apparent resurgence of nuclear rhetoric, this time in the form of planned tactical nuclear weapons exercises, coincides with the imminent arrival of Western weapons in Ukraine. Russian officials are likely using the nuclear weapons information operation to discourage Ukraine’s Western partners from providing additional military support and to scare Western decision-makers out of allowing Ukrainian forces to use Western-provided systems to attack legitimate military targets in Russia. Russian troops engage in routine nuclear exercises as part of this wider nuclear rhetoric information operation, but ISW continues to assess that Russia is highly unlikely to use a tactical nuclear weapon on the battlefield in Ukraine or anywhere else.[10]

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
Hamas demands are ludicrous. They are negotiating a from a position of extreme weakness. All they have is hostages. I think about 130 are unaccounted for, and who knows how many are alive. That bit about exchanging dead bodies if they can't find live hostages is telling.

Hamas is willing to 'martyr' thousands of Gazan's because they are morally bankrupt. Yet they hope Israel is sufficiently moral to make massive concessions to save 100 or so people.

Hamas needs to be totally destroyed, so I hope Israel finishes this job. They should stop foot dragging though. Popular opinion keeps turning against them as the chaos drags on.

Quick

MBTI Type
INFP
Hamas demands are ludicrous. They are negotiating a from a position of extreme weakness. All they have is hostages. I think about 130 are unaccounted for, and who knows how many are alive. That bit about exchanging dead bodies if they can't find live hostages is telling.

Hamas is willing to 'martyr' thousands of Gazan's because they are morally bankrupt. Yet they hope Israel is sufficiently moral to make massive concessions to save 100 or so people.

Hamas needs to be totally destroyed, so I hope Israel finishes this job. They should stop foot dragging though. Popular opinion keeps turning against them as the chaos drags on.

Totally agree with you. This is one of the reasons I think Biden is inept. He does not understand anything about the Middle East. He thinks it's always good to negotiate with terrorists. He does not understand that not everyone is just a big teddy bear to be reasoned with.