• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jung's Anima/Animus

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

(Corvus corax)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What do people think, is there any validity to this concept?

I can't speak for women, but as for men:

Doesn't it seem like men meet women, and if they're attracted, they become like goddesses (of one sort or another), and in doing so submerge more human qualities?

The Cat

The Cat in the Tinfoil Hat..
Staff member
Also... in what context are you using goddess?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

(Corvus corax)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also... in what context are you using goddess?
I don't mean that I have a religion where I worship them. It's more that I see them as superhuman.

They seem much smarter and more clever than everyone else, and much more morally good. These positive qualities are what is elevated to being superhuman. People can have those qualities but probably not to this extent.

The Cat

Staff member
I don't mean that I have a religion where I worship them. It's more that I see them as superhuman.

They seem much smarter and more clever than everyone else, and much more morally good. These positive qualities are what is elevated to being superhuman. People can have those qualities but probably not to this extent.
Fascinating. But no Ive not found men and women to be that much different from one another in those regards. Individuals have to aspire and pursue those things to stand out as different from the other humans in their sphere. I grew up being taught that all humans have feet of clay. I wouldnt consider such things "super human" as much as self discipline. And I dont percieve one as being more than the other or less than.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

(Corvus corax)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fascinating. But no Ive not found men and women to be that much different from one another in those regards. Individuals have to aspire and pursue those things to stand out as different from the other humans in their sphere. I grew up being taught that all humans have feet of clay. I wouldnt consider such things "super human" as much as self discipline. And I dont percieve one as being more than the other or less than.
But do we pursue the things we lack (and perhaps might actually have)? There's a psychological image that isn't quite in sync with reality, and there are patterns to it, which I find curious. What's going on with this psychological goddess image?

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member
But do we pursue the things we lack (and perhaps might actually have)? There's a psychological image that isn't quite in sync with reality, and there are patterns to it, which I find curious. What's going on with this psychological goddess image?
I do think people pursue intangibles and tangibles that we perceive as lacking in ourselves. I often suspect this is what drives many people to compete professionally. I had something of a personal revelation during a trip one time. "I miss the part of you that isn't me." This was in relation to trying to understand where the feelings of loss at the forever absence of someone loved.

Ive often considered the riddle of do we truly ever lack anything apart from awareness? Disregarding hierarchies and the biological imperatives that allow us to functionally live that one could consider "needs" I make this distinction because of all the different kinds of need that exist for humans. Needful things that you are. I mean we are.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
What do people think, is there any validity to this concept?

I can't speak for women, but as for men:

Doesn't it seem like men meet women, and if they're attracted, they become like goddesses (of one sort or another), and in doing so submerge more human qualities?
I read it again when I tried to looking for something and in the end didn't find anything on it.

There are much more web searches for anima than animus, even though there are more or less the same proportion of males to females on the subject as far as I remember.
I believe that it holds true only for anima rather than animus, because in genetics a male is a XY while a female is XX, since male have an X side and an Y side, it makes sense to speak of a female side or a stronger X rather than Y. Men are probably more varied for this reason and there is in fact men that are more or less feminine just based on potential of genetics and hormones alone. The same doesn't make much sense for women (on the genetics part).

The way Jung sees women is incredibly negative, so much that renders the concept almost useless. I know by big five, hexaco, cluster types, etc... the networking of the adjectives and personality-alike words, when Jung describes the anima so negatively he automatically links and overlaps it with the shadow. In practice, the words Jung uses for anima and for the shadow are all networked with each other - with high overlap - making the anima a lot less useful. He doesn't do the same for animus, where description is sort of positive.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

(Corvus corax)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

The way Jung sees women is incredibly negative
, so much that renders the concept almost useless. I know by big five, hexaco, cluster types, etc... the networking of the adjectives and personality-alike words, when Jung describes the anima so negatively he automatically links and overlaps it with the shadow. In practice, the words Jung uses for anima and for the shadow are all networked with each other - with high overlap - making the anima a lot less useful. He doesn't do the same for animus, where description is sort of positive.
I don't doubt it. I imagine if there's anything to this concept, it probably get messed up when trying to translate it to women.

I'm just fascinated by certain patterns I've noticed with me, and I wonder if it's like that with anybody else, male or female.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

(Corvus corax)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do think people pursue intangibles and tangibles that we perceive as lacking in ourselves. I often suspect this is what drives many people to compete professionally. I had something of a personal revelation during a trip one time. "I miss the part of you that isn't me." This was in relation to trying to understand where the feelings of loss at the forever absence of someone loved.

Ive often considered the riddle of do we truly ever lack anything apart from awareness? Disregarding hierarchies and the biological imperatives that allow us to functionally live that one could consider "needs" I make this distinction because of all the different kinds of need that exist for humans. Needful things that you are. I mean we are.
I just think the concept that we fantasize about the traits we wish we had, but don't consciously have, and in the process keep applying them on to other people is really interesting.

The Cat

Staff member
I just think the concept that we fantasize about the traits we wish we had, but don't consciously have, and in the process keep applying them on to other people is really interesting.
I dont think we're talking about the same thing?