• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Meet the California Bill that could loose the Election for Kamala Harris

ygolo

My termites win
Note, first that there are hundreds if not thousands of local bills in the USA regulating AI create a hodge-podge mess for anyone to deal with. California alone has thirty eight to deal that many Newsom has already signed into law. Dealing with that mess is for another time. There are so many of those bills, I would be in completely support (it would be great if there were national consistency).

I am speaking now about SB 1047. There are only a few short days for Newsom to Veto - instead of a pocket signature. At this point, based on who is backing it nothing short of an explicit veto, and endorsement of the veto by party establishment would change my mind.

I have been sounding the alarm over the general sentiment, the funding landscape, and the regulatory landscape largely stoked by the media (who BTW, are the real people to blame over what happened with social media).

This was mainly about the trend that led up to the moment. In that thread, I've outlined in great detail from direct quotes from the bill, numbers for budgets and links to AI models you can run yourself how this would create a chilling effect on innovation. In my private blog on this site, I have given the situation I am in, which makes working on what I am working on now one of the only ways for my family to survive.

I have tried to bring up the philosophy and history that it reminds me of (having been born in a Communist-run region and visited many times).

At this point, I am a Trump voter. I never would have expected to say that about myself.

But I now assess the Authoritarian Left-wing forces more dangerous than the Authoritarian Right-Wing forces. I am unlikely to be the only one that the recent endorsement by celebrities of SB 1047 turned.

I have no illusions that I have any real clout--or that this forum does. But I need to vent.

To change my mind, Newsom will need to Veto SB 1047, to prove that the likes of Nanci Pelosi have more clout than Jane Fonda.

To prove that Harris is serious about the Opportunity Economy, not only will there need to be a veto, but a repudiation by Harris about "Proud Boy" elements in her constituency--which unfortunately are celebrities (a lot more influence than the fringe on the Right--though Trump was a lot more amenable).

Comedians and celebrities led the way in dehumanizing people in the Rwandan genocide--calling people "cockroaches". The media has been dehumanizing tech people unrelentingly for a long time.

If celebrities want to know why the US election is a coin flip still, look in the mirror. You just turned a committed Harris voter into a Trump voter.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Just vote for Trump. This stuff isn’t worth debating anymore. I cannot fathom your perspective on this bill as it relates to the federal election and I don’t really care to.

Last edited:

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I'm not really up on this issue, and I know it is a hot button topic for ygolo, but there is zero chance California doesn't vote Democrat. I'd be surprised if even 1 in 1000 Californians have any clue about this bill.

ygolo

My termites win
I'm not really up on this issue, and I know it is a hot button topic for ygolo, but there is zero chance California doesn't vote Democrat. I'd be surprised if even 1 in 1000 Californians have any clue about this bill.
I have no illusions that California will turn red.

But if the affordable open-source models aren't allowed to run in California, like how some aren't allowed to run in the EU, this is certainly something the general election Republicans can point to as concrete examples of the anti-prosperity fervor among a portion of their opponents.

Don't underestimate the number of small businesses and startups using AI(especially in the healthcare industry). Absent regulation like SB 1047, you can see practically any individual who sees a problem, and enough initiative (or need) to take significant strides using AI in solving it for themselves and others like themselves.

Nancy Pelosi and especially Ro Kahana, wouldn't issue statements if it had no awareness. There are so many open letters around this bill. Most active researchers (as opposed to defacto retired researchers and the sci-fi ideological labs who advocate for humanity becoming like pets to "Digital God") have come out against the bill.

Republicans would have to be trace the policy lines to anti-prosperity outcomes. But the numbers and law quotes are there to trace.

Lark

I dont think elections are won or lost this way, I'd love to believe any electorate's reflexes were that good but nope.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
If she will indeed lose the elections she will lose them on: border related issues, economy in general, foreign policy and not supporting "family values" enough.

She wouldn't lose them over some tech bill in very deep blue state.
Average Joe and Joann don't really have interest in the topics like this one.

Lets be real.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Note, first that there are hundreds if not thousands of local bills in the USA regulating AI create a hodge-podge mess for anyone to deal with. California alone has thirty eight to deal that many Newsom has already signed into law. Dealing with that mess is for another time. There are so many of those bills, I would be in completely support (it would be great if there were national consistency).

I am speaking now about SB 1047. There are only a few short days for Newsom to Veto - instead of a pocket signature. At this point, based on who is backing it nothing short of an explicit veto, and endorsement of the veto by party establishment would change my mind.

I have been sounding the alarm over the general sentiment, the funding landscape, and the regulatory landscape largely stoked by the media (who BTW, are the real people to blame over what happened with social media).

This was mainly about the trend that led up to the moment. In that thread, I've outlined in great detail from direct quotes from the bill, numbers for budgets and links to AI models you can run yourself how this would create a chilling effect on innovation. In my private blog on this site, I have given the situation I am in, which makes working on what I am working on now one of the only ways for my family to survive.

I have tried to bring up the philosophy and history that it reminds me of (having been born in a Communist-run region and visited many times).

At this point, I am a Trump voter. I never would have expected to say that about myself.

But I now assess the Authoritarian Left-wing forces more dangerous than the Authoritarian Right-Wing forces. I am unlikely to be the only one that the recent endorsement by celebrities of SB 1047 turned.

I have no illusions that I have any real clout--or that this forum does. But I need to vent.

To change my mind, Newsom will need to Veto SB 1047, to prove that the likes of Nanci Pelosi have more clout than Jane Fonda.

To prove that Harris is serious about the Opportunity Economy, not only will there need to be a veto, but a repudiation by Harris about "Proud Boy" elements in her constituency
--which unfortunately are celebrities (a lot more influence than the fringe on the Right--though Trump was a lot more amenable).

Comedians and celebrities led the way in dehumanizing people in the Rwandan genocide--calling people "cockroaches". The media has been dehumanizing tech people unrelentingly for a long time.

If celebrities want to know why the US election is a coin flip still, look in the mirror. You just turned a committed Harris voter into a Trump voter.
I seriously doubt most CA voters even know about this state bill, let alone allow it to sway their federal votes, nor do I understand what voting for Trump will accomplish here but you do you.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I seriously doubt most CA voters even know about this state bill, let alone allow it to sway their federal votes, nor do I understand what voting for Trump will accomplish here but you do you.

I think this entire thread should simply be taken as "I am freaking out and can't focus anymore. Help!"

ygolo

My termites win
I am freaking out, indeed.

In quite specific budgetary terms, this bill could materially have me starving to death and homeless because how it affects my funding chances as a disabled individual trying use AI in novel ways.

Not many people have heard of this bill, yet.

But depending on how it's picked up, once passed--it would give credence to the Left Wing Authoritarian narrative in specific ways--weirdly by stifling a part of the economy that has a lot of collectivist ideals--open source.

In exactly parallel ways on how "common sense"(scare quotes intentional) Voter ID laws disenfranchise voters, this bill will disenfranchise open source developers from making a living.

ygolo

My termites win
Open Science:
If you were a chemist thinking about novel ways to think about fundamental cutting-edge chemistry (not bomb-making, not drugs, not medicine), you would not expect a Bill that invites people to recruit the California Attorney general to sue you for sharing your thoughts and progress openly, based on arbitrary compute limits, and arbitrary standards, long before any application could be thought about. You especially would not expect it to be strongly supported by actors. I would have similar expectations in biology and physics. You would not expect one-size-fits-all regulation for cutting-edge chemistry, physics, or biological research.

I would have expected the same for cutting-edge computer science research (not AI drug design, not AI in medicine, not self-driving, not deep fakes, not hospital automation, or any specific automation of anything). If you wanted to share your thoughts and progress openly, you would not expect there to be a bill inviting people to recruit the AG to sue you based on arbitrary computing limits and following arbitrary standards long before any application could be thought about. You especially would not expect it to be strongly supported by actors--which adds credence to the motivations for people to bring frivolous law suites for anything with the word AI in it.

You would not expect one-size-fits-all regulation for cutting-edge computer science research.

Biden's executive order accounted for the changing nature of AI requirements based on the application domain.

Last edited:

ygolo

My termites win
Future perfect's spin makes me want to throw-up.

While well-intentioned, SB 1047 does not take into account whether an Al system is deployed in high-risk environments, involves critical decision-making or the use of sensitive data. Instead, the bill applies stringent standards to even the most basic functions - so long as a large system deploys it. I do not believe this is the best approach to protecting the public from real threats posed by the technology.

Thank goodness! I don't have to sell my soul to survive!

Last edited: