• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Politics Thread

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Probably not. I was getting exhausted anyway.
Seems that was the point the whole time. It is an election year after all, there's always a few that ooze in to do it. Makes it impossible to have a conversation, but proves they were never interested in having one in the first place. Its just a song and dance with "free bird seed".

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Seems that was the point the whole time. It is an election year after all, there's always a few that ooze in to do it. Makes it impossible to have a conversation, but proves they were never interested in having one in the first place. Its just a song and dance with "free bird seed".
I do this kind of thing not for the other person, but for the benefit of bystanders. But I have limits.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...Or beer.

But this is the old old story that will continue to play out through the endless cycle of human discourse.

sorry, I only included the pertinent parts... you'll have to find the full vid elsewhere.

Quick

MBTI Type
INFP
FWIW, It seems the conversation is not in good faith. Nothing you can post or say that's going to get through, because at this point, they're going to keep moving the finish line.

No, the problem is that we are coming at things from very different axioms. You guys seem to think the guilty-by-association arguments work. I don't. That's just an example. Another would be that you are innocent until proven guilty. Just because people claim someone is an oppressor does not mean they actually are just because someone said it. And that's another thing. You guys probably have assumptions about there being an oppressor vs oppressed class system. That's a Marxist ideology. Marxism has not worked anywhere it has been tried.

I heard recently that someone was saying if a person holds X view, then you could very much guess 10 other views they would hold. This is how our society has been polarized. You have radically different assumptions about reality going on largely between two groups of people. So it is not that I am arguing in bad faith. It is that I see the whole world differently than you guys do. That does not mean I am a racist, homophobic, transphobic bigot. It's that today people are content to just label other people as some sort of pejorative rather than actually getting to know what the person believes and why. It's easy to do this. It's easy to be polarizing. I try to fight against that. I do have my views. But to just label me as not arguing in good faith just demonstrates that you probably do not talk to many people of a different persuasion than you. It's groupthink on both sides largely produced by social media and news outlets.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
DxiN95-XgAElTGd.jpg

Quick

MBTI Type
INFP
Like instead of actually seeing what I am saying you double down? I get you are coming from a different perspective, but it does seem like you are burying your head in the sand.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I'm pretty sure Trump doesn't care. It's not clear to me that Haley supporters won't still vote Republican come November. If they were to abandon the Republicans or abstain from voting, it might benefit Trump to try to appeal to them in what is shaping up to be a close election, but then the question would become would he alienate his base by softening his stance on some controversial issues? Probably not, as Trump's base are pretty much cult followers at this point and just think whatever he says they should think. But Trump's ego doesn't allow him to compromise unless it is crystal clear a failure to compromise will seriously hurt his chances. Trump is softening now on abortion because he realizes this one issue may seriously hurt his election chances. I doubt he thinks the same way about failing to attract Haley supporters.

Haley herself is probably playing the long game. She's relatively young and there will be no incumbent for either party in 2028. I'm sure she'll run for nominee again then. And she will probably be up against a Trump lite kind of Republican (e.g. DeSantis or similar). It's probably her best strategy to keep herself distant from Trump (certainly not endorse him) so she can appeal to the non MAGA types down the road.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I'm pretty sure Trump doesn't care. It's not clear to me that Haley supporters won't still vote Republican come November.

Yes, but the question is will they ALL do that. In 2020 Biden won key swing states by a point or less. Therefore even the nudges in this "department" are likely to really matter in the end. What means that her voters are probably what is going to decide the outcome.