• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Politics Thread

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
It's a real shame all of the third party candidates are crackpots. If a sensible, middle of the road unaffiliated candidate was running, I bet s/he would get a lot of votes.

If I were an American voter I'd certainly park my vote with a palatable independent as a form of protest. As it is, I think I would just not vote this time around. While this might pave the way for a possible Trump victory (and the chaos that could result in), four more years of Biden incompetence is equally disturbing. I think more people are starting to feel this way, and if so, Trump's chances of winning look better and better.

Yes, it is for the crackpots for the most part. Since it is all just for the show (because they can't win due to the mindset of the nation). Therefore more average people are trying to make their gains by climbing through 2 parties ... and where they end up they end up. Since this way they will probably achieve more in the terms of results. What is because third party looses by default (the odds that only a crackpot would take).

Quick

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, it is for the crackpots for the most part. Since it is all just for the show (because they can't win due to the mindset of the nation). Therefore more average people are trying to make their gains by climbing through 2 parties ... and where they end up they end up. Since this way they will probably achieve more in the terms of results. What is because third party looses by default (the odds that only a crackpot would take).

As long as people are saying what you are saying we will always be a two-party system.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
As long as people are saying what you are saying we will always be a two-party system.

Over the years I did my fair share of analytics about the two party system on this forum. However in the end it has always turned that the system has clearly prevailed no matter what. Therefore I came to conclusions that perhaps this isn't a bug but a feature.

Quick

MBTI Type
INFP
Over the years I did my fair share of analytics about the two party system on this forum. However in the end it has always turned that the system has clearly prevailed no matter what. Therefore I came to conclusions that perhaps this isn't a bug but a feature.

I strongly disagree. It's close to a (temporary) monarchy at this point.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
The problem with the current 2 party system is the two parties are highly invested in keeping it that way. Why would either the Dems or the Republicans support changing to a system that would allow more competition? They won't, and since they have to approve any change to the current system, they don't even consider it. And they would bind together to oppose it if some 'radical' ever tried to bring changes up for a vote.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I strongly disagree. It's close to a (temporary) monarchy at this point.

Perhaps but that doesn't mean that it isn't a feature. "Feature" isn't fundamentally positive term.

After all people in US tend to ignore primary voting for the most part. While this is the closest there is to the multi-party system in the country. However people don't seem to be all that interested even if there are primaries for all kinds of seats. Therefore saying that the static system is a feature doesn't strike me as that much of overstatement.

Quick

MBTI Type
INFP
Perhaps but that doesn't mean that it isn't a feature. "Feature" isn't fundamentally positive term.

After all people in US tend to ignore primary voting for the most part. While this is the closest there is to the multi-party system in the country. However people don't seem to be all that interested even if there are primaries for all kinds of seats. Therefore saying that the static system is a feature doesn't strike me as that much of overstatement.

The problem with a two-party system (they are both the same) in one image:

Political Shirts.jpg

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The problem with a two-party system (they are both the same) in one image:

View attachment 30560
I would agree that the photo illustrates a serious problem - that the parties are treated as sports teams to root for. But while there clearly is not enough choice in the US they most definitely aren't the same. That's not just nonsense but cynical blindness to what is currently going on. If you are offered the choice between bread and cyanide you can complain about the lack of fruit and vegetable on offer, campaign for the introcduction of chocolate bars all you want... but if you pick the cyanide because you are sick and tired of bread or if you refuse to pick and let others do it for you you might soon not even be able anymore to pick and eat bread or fruit or anything for that matter.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I would agree that the photo illustrates a serious problem - that the parties are treated as sports teams to root for. But while there clearly is not enough choice in the US they most definitely aren't the same. That's not just nonsense but cynical blindness to what is currently going on. If you are offered the choice between bread and cyanide you can complain about the lack of fruit and vegetable on offer, campaign for the introcduction of chocolate bars all you want... but if you pick the cyanide because you are sick and tired of bread or if you refuse to pick and let others do it for you you might soon not even be able anymore to pick and eat bread or fruit or anything for that matter.

With all due respect I think you are being kinda idealistic here. With the start of the current week the debt clock has said that the sum of all debt in USA has surpassed 100 Trillion $. What means that the ship is sinking regardless of people voting for bread or cyanide. It is easy to moralize about the issue when the full might of European welfare state is standing behind you. However when that is not the case and you have to live in American reality then it really isn't unfair to say that you don't really see the difference. Since the debt, crime, greed and nonsense are sinking the ship regardless of who is in power. Changes in power really don't make that much of a difference to the average Joe (especially on the long run). Therefore I think you kinda missed the real point of that post. Plus in the case you haven't noticed: the Americans on this forum are having "mental preparations" when they have to vote for what you call "bread". Feel free to ask them about that in the case you haven't noticed.

Just saying.

The Cat

Offering FREE Monkey paws down at the Crossroads.
Staff member
With all due respect I think you are being kinda idealistic here. With the start of the current week the debt clock has said that the sum of all debt in USA has surpassed 100 Trillion $. What means that the ship is sinking regardless of people voting for bread or cyanide. It is easy to moralize about the issue when the full might of European welfare state is standing behind you. However when that is not the case and you have to live in American reality then it really isn't unfair to say that you don't really see the difference. Since the debt, crime, greed and nonsense are sinking the ship regardless of who is in power. Changes in power really don't make that much of a difference to the average Joe (especially on the long run). Therefore I think you kinda missed the real point of that post. Plus in the case you haven't noticed: the Americans on this forum are having "mental preparations" when they have to vote for what you call "bread". Feel free to ask them about that in the case you haven't noticed.

Just saying.
I'm not sure what you mean by having mental preparations to vote for not fascism.

Just saying.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I'm not sure what you mean by having mental preparations to vote for not fascism.

Just saying.

I have seen regular people here saying that the democratic party has lost it's way. Or statements that in the end come down to "thank God that I am in a safe Democratic state, so that I don't have to vote for them. Plus there were evident disappointments in the terms of foreign policy.

Therefore since I am person that tends to track the score in my head I came to conclusion that most in the end vote blue just so that the red doesn't win. Not because people are actually thrilled about voting blue. The impression is that many stay home, while decent chunk is having mental preparations before they vote blue in the end. But they know that they have to do that, since otherwise it could get even worse for them.

That is just my impression, here and in various comment sections.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have seen regular people here saying that the democratic party has lost it's way. Or statements that in the end come down to "thank God that I am in a safe Democratic state, so that I don't have to vote for them. Plus there were evident disappointments in the terms of foreign policy.

Therefore since I am person that tends to track the score in my head I came to conclusion that most in the end vote blue just so that the red doesn't win. Not because people are actually thrilled about voting blue. The impression is that many stay home, while decent chunk is having mental preparations before they vote blue in the end. But they know that they have to do that, since otherwise it could get even worse for them.

That is just my impression, here and in various comment sections.
That is pretty much exactly what I said about the bread and the cyanide ...

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
That is pretty much exactly what I said about the bread and the cyanide ...

Ok, but if you agree with me here then the more more correct analogy would be cyanide vs. bread with some cyanide in it.

But ok, I am not here because I am trying to turn people from voting. This is all just a spin off from a different conversation.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok, but if you agree with me here then the more more correct analogy would be cyanide vs. bread with some cyanide in it.

But ok, I am not here because I am trying to turn people from voting. This is all just a spin off from a different conversation.
What you and I are used to would be the fruit and vegetables in this analogy.

And yes, probably not a good idea to contribute to cynicism and despair and drive people away from voting.

The Cat

Offering FREE Monkey paws down at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I laugh but its actually pretty horrifying to many of us. Good joke though.
You think that's crazy Past Cat, wait till you think about how you used to wonder how people in underdeveloped countries could eat and drink around so much poison and bad run off....why the same way you can dear chap. You try not to think about, and shut up and eat it, and drink your boiled water.