• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What am I? Help me decide between INFJ and ENTP

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My hobbies: personality types, psychology, eastern spirituality, religion, certain philosophies and fantasy fiction. Also, astronomy.

I think it's hard to show you my intuition because defining it precisely is what I am struggling with. I know it's the thing that allows me to be so comfortable with the theoretical aspects of my job, the thing that allows me to explain things in a down to earth way, the thing that allows me to follow conceptual debates. But I don't know if this is introverted or extroverted intuition as both are able to do these things easily from my understanding.

The best way to explain it is that I am led by inspiration or need it in order to work. This inspiration is like an inner spontaneous drive to follow a certain trail of thought without being sure where it leads at that exact moment, to let it dance from one thought to another and when I write this way, it's my best, in fact, this is how I CREATE my paper or build it. Then my Ti will come in and package it in a way that other acedemics can buy it...by bringing out the logical principles i know they they will be looking for when analysing my paper. But it is not how I build the content.,..Ti is how I rearrange it with a certain audience in mind . That's super abstract.....can you kind of get what I am trying to describe?

I think you're trying to build a case for INFJ. Although now I'm more resolute on ISFJ because I'm skeptical of why you never researched on finding the differences between Ni and Ne. Why do you need us?

I don't think you should be asking us to type you if you don't know what all the functions mean. I think it's a little bit rude that you try to have us come down to your level and then respond with "I don't know but I know you're not right in this because... " It's kind of irritating. Oh and disregarding anything else I said, like the inferior function?

I mean ISFJ's too have to write a paper it's not like they copy paste from the book to get answers. Every type uses intuition and sensation.

There are threads here that discuss about type and cognitive functions and even threads trying to dispel stereotypes. This website is lined with profiles to read. Sorry for my bitchy mood but you get my point.

Short version: don't ask and deny if you don't have a clue of what you're talking about.

I'm out. Sorry for leading you on earlier.

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
I think you're trying to build a case for INFJ. Although now I'm more resolute on ISFJ because I'm skeptical of why you never researched on finding the differences between Ni and Ne. Why do you need us?

I don't think you should be asking us to type you if you don't know what all the functions mean. I think it's a little bit rude that you try to have us come down to your level and then respond with "I don't know but I know you're not right in this because... " It's kind of irritating.

I mean ISFJ's too have to write a paper it's not like they copy paste from the book to get answers. Every type uses intuition and sensation.

I don't know the distinction between ni and ne. I said right from the beginning I knew I was dominant intuitive and not sensation, the thing i have never been in doubt about ever since i discovered mbti. I understand the judging functions well enough to know I have well developed Ti and Fe which is why I have narrowed it down to Entp and Infj. I am argumentative enough to doubt infj and yet people-focused enough to doubt entp. THAT is my confusion.

I really do not appreciate the insinuation that I have somehow been dishonest since all I have done is respond to precise questions asked by you and others. Why would I need to build a case for infj? If I thought I was infj I would just label myself so and move on. BUT I CANNOT DECIDE BECAUSE I CAN'T TELL THE PRECISE DISTINCTION BETWEEN NE AND NI. This is what I have said right from the beginning.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know the distinction between ni and ne. I said right from the beginning I knew I was dominant intuitive and not sensation, the thing i have never been in doubt about ever since i discovered mbti. I understand the judging functions well enough to know I have well developed Ti and Fe which is why I have narrowed it down to Entp and Infj. I am argumentative enough to doubt infj and yet people-focused enough to doubt entp. THAT is my confusion.

I really do not appreciate the insinuation that I have somehow been dishonest since all I have done is respond to precise questions asked by you and others. Why would I need to build a case for infj? If I thought I was infj I would just label myself so and move on. BUT I CANNOT DECIDE BECAUSE I CAN'T TELL THE PRECISE DISTINCTION BETWEEN NE AND NI. This is what I have said right from the beginning.

Read THE DESCRIPTIONS OF NI AND NE. There are videos, threads, I don't have the patience to try and explain the difference to you when you know NOTHING. your lack of curiosity is so unintuitive you just want it on a plate. Stop being lazy.

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
Also, I have read that ENTPS also struggle with people pleasing because Fe is in the child function and makes them vulnerable to wanting to please....hence why the inability to say no did not jump out at me at being clearly infj....ENTPS are also vulnerable to the bad habit of going along to get along. But intps and istps are not.

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
I have read those descriptions of ne and ni....soooo many times! They just don't make it clear how to tell the two apart from each other in ones mind. It is east to tell intuition from sensation but not ni from ne. Making associations, loving theory....they have that in common. But what DON'T they have in common?

I am also sorry to upset you. Not my intention.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Please don't be. I don't mean to upset anyone.

it's not that anyone's upset me, just that i'm uncomfortable when i witness others' conflict

the most i could do really is try to help you understand si as i consider myself very well-versed in that function, but i don't know much about ni or ne other than both of them make no sense to me and my ne stresses me out

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
it's not that anyone's upset me, just that i'm uncomfortable when i witness others' conflict

the most i could do really is try to help you understand si as i consider myself very well-versed in that function, but i don't know much about ni or ne other than both of them make no sense to me and my ne stresses me out

Please do explain Si. I can tell it is the thing used by the super organised administrative folk at my work places, but I am not sure I know what it is experentially, whether I can actually label it in myself when I use it. It was the same for the judgment functions. Until I could know them in practice (label them in mysrlf) I couldn't decide. When I finally understood what it was in me, I knew which ones I use often and easily because it was then simply a matter of just noticing which ones come up and are enjoyed verses hated and struggled with and never deliberately chosen. Maybe being able to do the same with Si can help me do the same for perception. I know the book definitions. But can you tell when You are actually using the process? That's the only way I think a person can be sure which processes they prefer.

I also dislike conflict. And even now, it affects me that [MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION] is upset. I want to fix it, but I don't know how to unless I plain lie about my experiences. I know she doesn't want that, but I guess it's just the kind of thing that happens too often around me. I genuinely hate it.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Please do explain Si. I can tell it is the thing used by the super organised administrative folk at my work places, but I am not sure I know what it is experentially, whether I can actually label it in myself when I use it. It was the same for the judgment functions. Until I could know them in practice (label them in mysrlf) I couldn't decide. When I finally understood what it was in me, I knew which ones I use often and easily because it was then simply a matter of just noticing which ones come up and are enjoyed verses hated and struggled with and never deliberately chosen. Maybe being able to do the same with Si can help me do the same for perception. I know the book definitions. But can you tell when You are actually using the process? That's the only way I think a person can be sure which processes they prefer.

I also dislike conflict. And even now, it affects me that [MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION] is upset. I want to fix it, but I don't know how to unless I plain lie about my experiences. I know she doesn't want that, but I guess it's just the kind of thing that happens too often around me. I genuinely hate it.

i made this thread about si a while back that i think does a good job explaining what si is like (dom/aux si, at least--i'm less sure about how it manifests in the tert/inferior positions). it's a good read and one i've been recommending to anyone who wants to know more about si as i think it's one of the most misunderstood functions

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...si-conservative-semantics-misconceptions.html

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
[MENTION=23583]21lux[/MENTION], that first post about preserving is so interesting!!! There are things I do like to go back to from my past, though not so much from my childhood. Say for example certain TV shows I will keep going back to every few months or every few years. I have rewatched them many times. I guess I am trying to recapture the experience/mood of when I first watched it. For example, every few years or months I will rewatch Gilmore girls. Sometimes it's Friends. Or Being Erica. When I find a restaurant I like, i tend to keep going back to it. Perhaps this is Si in my inferior. For me what i am describing is not about preserving what I got from childhood perse...I honestly couldn't care less...but it is about recreating the original feeling/experience even if it was first had as an adult.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=23583]21lux[/MENTION], that first post about preserving is so interesting!!! There are things I do like to go back to from my past, though not so much from my childhood. Say for example certain TV shows I will keep going back to every few months or every few years. I have rewatched them many times. I guess I am trying to recapture the experience/mood of when I first watched it. For example, every few years or months I will rewatch Gilmore girls. Sometimes it's Friends. Or Being Erica. When I find a restaurant I like, i tend to keep going back to it. Perhaps this is Si in my inferior. For me what i am describing is not about preserving what I got from childhood perse...I honestly couldn't care less...but it is about recreating the original feeling/experience even if it was first had as an adult.

tbh i don't try and actively preserve things, i just go with the flow of my life and do whatever i feel like doing, but yeah si for me is extremely unconscious and i'm not aware of using it because it's my entire framework. it happens just so naturally for me that i don't even have to think about it. it's how i internalize and process the information i gather. i can be pretty "set in my ways," like order the exact same food at a restaurant every time i go and not being interested in trying something new unless i'm feeling comfortable and adventurous. while i tend to hate a lot of si stereotypes, i will admit that i do rather like routine; i want a job that gives me the same hours and days every week, not minimum wage crap that has me working the closing shift one day and opening the next and doesn't give me my schedule until the day before the new week starts. i like to know what to expect and am not a big fan of surprises.

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
tbh i don't try and actively preserve things, i just go with the flow of my life and do whatever i feel like doing, but yeah si for me is extremely unconscious and i'm not aware of using it because it's my entire framework. it happens just so naturally for me that i don't even have to think about it. it's how i internalize and process the information i gather. i can be pretty "set in my ways," like order the exact same food at a restaurant every time i go and not being interested in trying something new unless i'm feeling comfortable and adventurous. while i tend to hate a lot of si stereotypes, i will admit that i do rather like routine; i want a job that gives me the same hours and days every week, not minimum wage crap that has me working the closing shift one day and opening the next and doesn't give me my schedule until the day before the new week starts. i like to know what to expect and am not a big fan of surprises.

I also like familiarity but not routine perse as I understand people mean. I have a very bad memory unless it is about personal information regarding peoplet. I am uncomfortable in new places or new tasks. But if the routine is about things like filling forms or manual tasks, etc I will find a way to leave that job. I actually did once. I like routine I guess in the sense that it gives me predictability and doesn't put me in a chaotic external environment but tolerate it to a minimum as I like my freedom very much. I also can order the same meal everyday if I like it until I can't stand it any more then I will find something else and repeat. It's just easier that way. Constant exploration of my environment is just not what I do.

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
However, exploring ideas or books...or even people, that's something I have always done. In fact, it is something I am always doing. The more exotic the better. Which is why I liked reading on eastern religions like Hinduism and Buddhism in my teens or very ancient cultures.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I also like familiarity but not routine perse as I understand people mean. I have a very bad memory unless it is about personal information regarding peoplet. I am uncomfortable in new places or new tasks. But if the routine is about things like filling forms or manual tasks, etc I will find a way to leave that job. I actually did once. I like routine I guess in the sense that it gives me predictability and doesn't put me in a chaotic external environment but tolerate it to a minimum as I like my freedom very much. I also can order the same meal everyday if I like it until I can't stand it any more then I will find something else and repeat. It's just easier that way. Constant exploration of my environment is just not what I do.

ya my memory is shit if it's something i don't care about. can't tell you what color shit i'm wearing right now but i can tell you 500 useless facts about the tv shows i like down to the tiniest detail. though i don't think really anyone likes doing things like house chores and filling out forms, more like that's just things we have to do in modern society. but i don't really think anyone would like rather do that than say go chill out at home or with friends and do whatever hobby they want.

However, exploring ideas or books...or even people, that's something I have always done. In fact, it is something I am always doing. The more exotic the better. Which is why I liked reading on eastern religions like Hinduism and Buddhism in my teens or very ancient cultures.

i like watching documentaries and reading autobiographies and memoirs. i absolutely loveee learning when it's not for school!

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
ya my memory is shit if it's something i don't care about. can't tell you what color shit i'm wearing right now but i can tell you 500 useless facts about the tv shows i like down to the tiniest detail. though i don't think really anyone likes doing things like house chores and filling out forms, more like that's just things we have to do in modern society. but i don't really think anyone would like rather do that than say go chill out at home or with friends and do whatever hobby they want.

i like watching documentaries and reading autobiographies and memoirs. i absolutely loveee learning when it's not for school!

I love documentaries! Especially about outer space or linguistics or ancient cultures. I will kill myself if I am made to watch documentaries about machines like cars, bridges etc, lol!! I love learning when it's not for school.....soooo much! I almost can't help it. I also have come to love reading autobiographies and memoires of women who have come to spirituality through struggles in life and ended up with happiness (triumph through adversity)...coming of age stories.....love love love them!

About chores, it's not just that I dislike them (an underestimation! I would give half my salary to keep from doing them, honest) but I have always also sucked at them....always! While I would love to be able to do routine things like gardening, sawing or whatever, that's a fantasy to me. I simply can't. I literally have never been able to take my medication in the correct dosage ever in my whole life. :(

I love talking to you, by the way! Thanks for sharing. I wish everyone would share their personal experiences of their preffered functions. This kind of thing is so helpful to compare and contrast. It helps me figure where to look for it in my own experience. Thanks!!!!������

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I love documentaries! Especially about outer space or linguistics or ancient cultures. I will kill myself if I am made to watch documentaries about machines like cars, bridges etc, lol!! I love learning when it's not for school.....soooo much! I almost can't help it. I also have come to love reading autobiographies of women who have come to spirituality through struggles and ended up with happiness (triumph through adversity)...coming of age stories.....love love love them!

About chores, it's not just that I dislike them (an underestimation! I would give half my salary to keep from doing them, honest) but I have always also sucked at them....always! While I would love to be able to do routine things like gardening, sawing or whatever, that's a fantasy to me. I simply can't. I literally have never been able to take my medication in the correct dosage ever in my whole life. :(

I love talking to you, by the way! Thanks for sharing. I wish everyone would share their personal experiences of their preffered functions. This kind of thing is so helpful to compare and contrast. It helps me figure where to look for it in my own experience. Thanks!!!!������

I LOVE SPACE DOCUMENTARIES OH MY GOD!!! Especially ones from the 90s. Those soundtracks tho. They are my lifeblood. And oh my god nothing could possibly bore me more than cars lmao I feel you.

Chores suck, I don't know how to do a lot of things. I dunno how to run the dishwasher and I will probably die on my own but we will cross that bridge when we get there now won't we

There are actually a few threads floating around in the main MBTI subforum about different types talking about their valued functions; my thread inspired a few of them. :p

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
I am reading through the thread "Ni what the hell is it?" Finding some really good nuggets there.

No, I am not a sensation type. Concretness of things, in the present or in memory (how thinns look, feel to the touch, smell, sound, now or in the past), is nothing I am drawn to in the least. Of this I am sure. Abstract information, the theoretical, as far away from the tangible aspects of things as possible, that is where my mind lives. Also, I simply do not know how my body feels internally. Been trying to practice meditation and the hardest thing for me about it is when they tell you to get in your body and feel from inside. It's extremely unnatural to me. The silence is super great, but the get into your body, hands, feet and feel your body from within is very difficult if not impossible. Taking care of my body or my physical environment is just not something I do easily with any interest besides the basic (looks, I am a woman afterall). And I really doubt that SJs run way from otherwise good and stable jobs just to avoid routine and minutae as I literally have done. Because it was simply depressing and I couldn't take it any more and had to leave, without an immediate plan. Scariest thing I've ever done, but totally worth it as I did go back to school and then into the theoretical where I found a much more tolerable job dealing mainly in theory with as little beauracracy or detail as possible.

I will keep reading that thread and another on Ne to see if I can finally tell each from the other.������

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What are typical results when you take MBTI or Keirsey tests?

Also, do you have a clue what your Enneagram might be?