• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 1] what really is enneagram 1?

mancino

Enlightened!
MBTI Type
NFJ
BTW, Carl Sagan is definitely not an E1 according to PDB: some 75% say 5, the rest say 3, none says 1.
Also, Alan Watts is definitely not an E1 either: PDB has him as either 4 or 7, with less than 10% at 9w1.
And Jodie Foster is at 95% E5, 5% E1 on PDB.
I mean, PDB is not infallible, and many times has it wrong, and I don't really know Foster or Sagan enough to weigh in, but I would at least consider the majority's opinion as evidence suggesting some extra analysis.

E1s want to find out the true essence of things
You've just quoted three people with allegedly strong E4-5 core or wings or mistypes at the very least.
And the quote above from you gives points toward E4-5 rather than E1.
E1s don't want to find anything: they already know.
Wanting to find the truth is quintessentially E5. Essence and meaning is stereotypically E4.
Also, if you relate strongly with N, especially Ni, @yeghor , I would definitely consider the 4-5 territory.

Not saying you are mistyped as an E1. Just be open and skeptical about it. It took me YEARS to find my type.
Also consider that both E4 and E5 have strong superegos according to Naranjo. Just sayin'

yeghor

BTW, Carl Sagan is definitely not an E1 according to PDB: some 75% say 5, the rest say 3, none says 1.
Also, Alan Watts is definitely not an E1 either: PDB has him as either 4 or 7, with less than 10% at 9w1.
And Jodie Foster is at 95% E5, 5% E1 on PDB.
I mean, PDB is not infallible, and many times has it wrong, and I don't really know Foster or Sagan enough to weigh in, but I would at least consider the majority's opinion as evidence suggesting some extra analysis.

You've just quoted three people with allegedly strong E4-5 core or wings or mistypes at the very least.
And the quote above from you gives points toward E4-5 rather than E1.
E1s don't want to find anything: they already know.
Wanting to find the truth is quintessentially E5. Essence and meaning is stereotypically E4.
Also, if you relate strongly with N, especially Ni, @yeghor , I would definitely consider the 4-5 territory.

Not saying you are mistyped as an E1. Just be open and skeptical about it. It took me YEARS to find my type.
Also consider that both E4 and E5 have strong superegos according to Naranjo. Just sayin'
Can't comment on Sagan or Foster's enneagram types, their guess is as good as any other. However, Foster's role and dialogue in the movie is based on Sagan's novel, so whatever Sagan's type is, I can identify his proposed mode of spirituality and perfection/progress for humankind. I don't think Watts is an E1 either, probably E3 with a high E1 demeanor, as he was willing to let go of scripture/tradition (i.e. Si).

As for E5, E5 wants to learn and amass knowledge and break it down to logical components, it is closer to Ti in MBTI. E1 distills/compresses amassed knowledge into easy to identify patterns/essences, to be used as shorthands.

The assimilated patterns serve as a template that can be checked against novel circumstances encountered. With a matching pattern, decision making becomes much more faster because a similar concept has already been assessed previously, eliminating the need to reassess the new circumstance. That is how E1 has this gut feeling of immediately knowing the right or wrong in a situation, assuming E1 has already collected a similar pattern thru earlier experiences, otherwise it has to go thru T and F and distilled by N. In time, the pattern repertoire keeps building up and connections are made between the patterns.

That serves as a new framework of assessment, alternative or complementary to the E5's logical (cause/effect) assessment framework, that's how imagine it at least.

This is how I see it actually, the background drwaing is not mine, found it on reddit, I just added the MBTI functions in red that I think most relates to each enneagram type.

1659524013651.jpeg

mancino

Enlightened!
MBTI Type
NFJ
E1 distills/compresses amassed knowledge into easy to identify patterns/essences, to be used as shorthands.

The assimilated patterns serve as a template that can be checked against novel circumstances encountered. With a matching pattern, decision making becomes much more faster because a similar concept has already been assessed previously, eliminating the need to reassess the new circumstance
This descriptions resembles quite well the cognitive process of an INTJ... who is usually around the 5-6 territory: 5w6, 6w5, maybe 5w4. Some E1 and very few E4 and E3 cases.

I respectfully disagree with the drawing: INFJ are very frequently E4 or even E6. INTJ, I've already said.
Se-dom can be 7 or 3 more than 8...
Fi at 9
6 and 3 can be any type... Not necessarily Fe-dom, at all.
It's much more complicated than that.

Again: E1 is a J archetype, not an N archetype. And stereotypically SJ, not NJ. Sorry if I insist.
I'm still waiting for @Vendrah to shed some light on the combos, but I've been "educated" by him so as to be quite confident about all this.

yeghor

This descriptions resembles quite well the cognitive process of an INTJ... who is usually around the 5-6 territory: 5w6, 6w5, maybe 5w4. Some E1 and very few E4 and E3 cases.

I respectfully disagree with the drawing: INFJ are very frequently E4 or even E6. INTJ, I've already said.
Se-dom can be 7 or 3 more than 8...
Fi at 9
6 and 3 can be any type... Not necessarily Fe-dom, at all.
It's much more complicated than that.

Again: E1 is a J archetype, not an N archetype. And stereotypically SJ, not NJ. Sorry if I insist.
I'm still waiting for @Vendrah to shed some light on the combos, but I've been "educated" by him so as to be quite confident about all this.
Don't rely on MBTI to enneagram typing correlations, they are inconsistent. Just read enneagram type descriptions and MBTI Type descriptions, it is easy to see which MBTI types's demeanor matches which enneagram demeanor.

The one's I am having some uncertainty about are 6 and 9 to be honest, the others are pretty straightforward.

E1's gut feeling of knowing what is right/wrong matches quite well with the intuition function.

1659526426876.png

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram

Don't rely on MBTI to enneagram typing correlations
If Yeghor distrusts the correlations and any kind of drawing on that entirely, I don't see any reason to explain anything, and that article you posted is still mostly my opinion. To sum up, E1 is XSTJ on most internet common definitions such as the Enneagram institute, but along the thread Yeghor seems to have a very different perception and conceptualization of what an E1 is that deviates a lot from Enneagram institute and alike sources.

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
E1 has more of a Code of Honor, not necessarily moral, more rules abiding. E1 has also the strongest superego, hence the rigidity: you can't negotiate with your superego.

Yes, pretty much: permanent in satisfactions with the world because it doesn't fit with the formula. Starting from oneself.
Idealism comes to mind, but it's a tricky word, because it's the same word for Keirsey's NFs.
Superego thing sounds suspiciously like Feeling function. One could argue that some stereotypical STJ E1 traits come from their stunted Fi not from Enneatype itself. From my point of view as INFP things are much less codified since I always have my Fi available most of time.
But then, just because the code isn't written down, isn't spoken, it doesn't mean it isn't here and isn't followed somewhat rigidly. Lol, I can even write it down. Lots of thou shalts and thou shalt nots.

Also, I think enneatype is an overlay on MBTI type, so to me it's more about differences within type, than something that is sourced in type.

mancino

Enlightened!
MBTI Type
NFJ
Hi @Indigo Rodent , welcome to the debate!
Superego thing sounds suspiciously like Feeling function.
I don't type by Cognitive Functions anymore, but no prob following your reasoning.

One could argue that some stereotypical STJ E1 traits come from their stunted Fi not from Enneatype itself. From my point of view as INFP things are much less codified since I always have my Fi available most of time.
But then, just because the code isn't written down, isn't spoken, it doesn't mean it isn't here and isn't followed somewhat rigidly. Lol, I can even write it down. Lots of thou shalts and thou shalt nots.
Using CF-speak, yes, I agree: Te-Fi axis with Te over Fi, hence either Te-dom or Te-aux, aka ETJ or ITJ. But notice that ENTJ is pretty much incompatible with E1, and as I said, I don't see a "true" INTJ either (i.e. strong N) either. E1 is close-minded and detail-oriented in Naranjo's view. It seems to imply that the core point is not just Te per se, also Si.

So, apart from J, the second strongest lean of the E1 archetype would be S, not T. In CF-speak, SJ means Si, as it is commonly described.
These are SJs for Keirsey in a nutshell:
The SJs

Myers had SJs, like SPs, observing their close surroundings with a keen eye, but for an entirely different reason, namely that of scheduling their own and others' activities so that needs are met and conduct is kept within bounds. Thus for SJs, everything should be in its proper place, everybody should be doing what they're supposed to, everybody should be getting their just deserts, every action should be closely supervised, all products thoroughly inspected, all legitimate needs promptly met, all approved ventures carefully insured. Though SJs might differ in being tough-minded or friendly in observing their schedules, and though they can be expressive or reserved in social attitude, all of them demand that ways and means of getting things done are proper and acceptable.

And so Myers described the SJs as "conservative" and "stable" — as "consistent" and "routinized" — as "sensible," "factual," and "unimpulsive" — as "patient," "dependable," and "hard-working" — as "detailed," "painstaking," "persevering," and "thorough." This too is a clear-cut pattern of action and attitude, highly unlike that of the SPs, NFs, and NTs.
I'm not saying that all E1 are SJ nor that all SJs are E1, but it's a very nice fit.
I'm also aware that SJs can be typically E6 too, but that's because there's an overlap between E1 and E6.
This is Naranjo:
REMARKS FOR THE DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS AMONG SOME PERSONALITY TYPES
I/VI:
The predominantly dutiful variety of E VI may be difficult to discriminate from E I; one difference lies in the greater assertiveness of the latter; another, the greater difficulty of the fearful in coming to decisions. Also, E I is more active.
So, again: E1 is more assertive, is less anxious when coming to decision, and is more active. Two breeds of SJ: one is more "heady", so more based in reasoning, planning for the worst case, theoretical, skeptical (E6), the other more resolute, confident in being right, rigid and close-minded (E1). Both SJ as described by Keirsey: stable, routinised, factual, unimpulsive, hard-working, persevering, etc.

Also, I think enneatype is an overlay on MBTI type, so to me it's more about differences within type, than something that is sourced in type.
I respectfully disagree. You seem to imply that MBTI is your core, with E-type as a flavour on top of it. I believe they are just two ways of seeing the same thing, and in most of the cases, they actually depict the same concrete person. Some combos are so much the same that they describe the same, for example INTP E5 or ESFP E7, but many, many others.

One implication is that, although there's some latitude in E-type / MBTI combination, some are very, very unlikely.

The combo you state in your profile seems to be one of those IMHO, @Indigo Rodent , and I say so with all due respect and without the intention to overstep. I don't know you, and of course you know yourself more than anybody, but I can suspect that all the noise and the misinformation that you have around on the web can easily lead to see yourself into some labels that are misinterpreted.

To clarify, I don't doubt how you see yourself, I doubt how Typology has been passed to you.
Because Fi-dom and E1 are pretty much incompatible.

Not to repeat myself, but Naranjo describes E1 as rigid, dominant, assertive, oriented to action, detail-oriented, not open-minded, lacking spontaneity... I have strong problems seeing it in an IFP, even less in an INFP, one of the least practical of the types. However, it could very easily be INFP 9w1.

I'll give you 2 examples of the two archetypes to see which you resonate the most with: my wife, INFP E9w1 and her older sister, ESTJ E1w9. (see why I bring it forth? Very relevant to your case, and to the OP in general). I'll call them Kate and Nancy.

Kate is a INFP 9w1, a clear introvert, nice and friendly, modest, quiet, good listener, a bit timid although in her forties. She's unassuming, has many friends because she can mesh and accomodate most people; she's fine with most things and usually goes along; she likes confort and leading a simple life. She has strong artistic interesest, studied Fine Arts, paints and teaches in High School. Non-materialistic, very intuitive with people, Highly Sensitive. She doesn't have strong preferences, but has deeply held values and, when somebody trespasses one of those, she stubbornly becomes either passive-aggressive or even self-righteous.
She's very IP: lazy, procrastinating, low-energy, even passive; however, her heart (loving kindness) compels her to act. And she's quite intelligent, she knows that not doing her duty is very selfish, hence she's very dutiful and quite hard working, although she reverts to her easygoing lay-in-the-couch-reading-or-binging-netlifx ASAP - which is actually quite seldom actually because she's taken a lot of responsibilities in life as a mother and wife and daughter of an old mother and teacher. So you can see the 1 wing on top of the 9 core.

Nancy is an ESTJ E1w9 steamroller: high energy, sociable, talkative, very resolute, quite know-it-all, hard working when younger (she's in her fifties right now). She knows the right way to do anything and she'll happily tell you what you're doing wrong and what you should be doing instead. Quite difficult in relationships, can be harsh and unempathetic to get the job done. Represses her true feelings. Very conservative, close-minded, no artistic interest whatsoever: her ideal of beauty is neatness and order. Has a workaholic husband, no children, used to be a workaholic top executive herself in banking until she had a nervous breakdown. Now she leads a secluded life and rarely goes out of her mansion in the countryside. Is rich but can't really enjoy it, apart from gourmet food and some luxury items for the house. So you can see the 9 wing on top of the 1 core.

Notice that both are in the Gut triad: it's their "gut knowing" that leads the way. They're not particularly introspective, neither of them. Don't care too much about what others think of them (E9 Kate even less), their just do what "feels right", nor have the ability/interest to coldly analyse dispassionately, entertaining ideas in an open-minded fashion, intellectually (E1 Nancy even less).
(In CF-speak, no Fe nor Ti in sight in both)

Now, the tricky part: which one has strongest "principles" and "values"?
Well, E1 Nancy is quicker to act, good at fixing problems because she has strong principles to lead her action, but her principles are formulaic, she's not in touch with her feelings or her heart nor those of other people, so she can believe she's right but actually get it very wrong and discover it way down the road. But can be very effective.
E9 Kate is slower to act but checks with her heart for everything she does; she has a strong gut reaction against stuff she feels it's wrong and intuitively knows when something is "bad". But can procrastinate and stay "stuck" and not act for a long time.
E1 Nancy could stay in a job that wasn't right for her for 5+ year because "it's my duty", got rich but destroyed herself emotionally. E9 Kate had a problem finding her niche in the job market, but when she started a job that she felt "it's not right for me" for moral reasons (too money-oriented, not respectful of pupil's interests in the way they taught) she knew it the first day and could just keep it for 3 months and then quit. Less material stability but more peace of mind.

As you can see, you can't really compare their values: they are a different beast, coming from a different place, about different approaches to life.

Which one do you resonate the most?

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
I respectfully disagree. You seem to imply that MBTI is your core, with E-type as a flavour on top of it. I believe they are just two ways of seeing the same thing, and in most of the cases, they actually depict the same concrete person. Some combos are so much the same that they describe the same, for example INTP E5 or ESFP E7, but many, many others.
Wrong. MBTI type is inborn. Enneagram is shaped by childhood experiences. Two different things.

Because Fi-dom and E1 are pretty much incompatible.

Not to repeat myself, but Naranjo describes E1 as rigid, dominant, assertive, oriented to action, detail-oriented, not open-minded, lacking spontaneity... I have strong problems seeing it in an IFP, even less in an INFP, one of the least practical of the types. However, it could very easily be INFP 9w1.
Wrong, they are compatible. It's obvious how it works.

An E1 INFP is more rigid, dominant, assertive, oriented to action, detail-oriented, not open-minded, lacking spontaneity than an INFP 9w1.

Also, my view of Enneagram is much more nuanced and based on core fears/desires/motivations not examples whose selection is prone to bias and errors. Basing on the principles one can discover that there are examples of people with specific Enneagram that don't fit stereotypes.

I'll give you 2 examples of the two archetypes to see which you resonate the most with: my wife, INFP E9w1 and her older sister, ESTJ E1w9. (see why I bring it forth? Very relevant to your case, and to the OP in general). I'll call them Kate and Nancy.
I strongly doubt they are different MBTI types. People who learned to use their lower functions have less energy than people who are stuck in their dominant and auxiliary because tertiary and inferior consumes energy when used. It's enough to explain differences. An ESTJ would also be slower with Fi.

She's very IP: lazy (...) she knows that not doing her duty is very selfish, hence she's very dutiful and quite hard working, although she reverts to her easygoing lay-in-the-couch-reading-or-binging-netlifx ASAP - which is actually quite seldom actually because she's taken a lot of responsibilities in life as a mother and wife and daughter of an old mother and teacher. So you can see the 1 wing on top of the 9 core.
Okay, she's "lazy" but somehow she's hard working to the point where she has no personal life. That's a completely delusional statement.

"Nancy" is both an unhealthy E1 and is one-sided ESTJ, it's ridiculous that you're bringing her up as an example.

Which one do you resonate the most?
It's extremely disrespectful of you to lecture me and to try to "help" me when you're wrong.

Obviously, I don't resonate with 9, because I'm driven by resentment, I have strong preferences, I'm critical of people, I usually end up getting myself in conflicts, even though I feel uncomfortable with conflicts, I'm abrasive, etc. I experience almost constant dissatisfaction with how the world is. Including how books tend to arrive dirty or damaged, noise pollution, degeneracy, social Darwinism, religious delusions, ageing and death, etc.

yeghor

Wrong. MBTI type is inborn. Enneagram is shaped by childhood experiences. Two different things.
I agree with mancino on this. They are just different ways of explaining the same phenomenon.

An E1 INFP is more rigid, dominant, assertive, oriented to action, detail-oriented, not open-minded, lacking spontaneity than an INFP 9w1.
I agree with mancino on this as well in that it is clear that E1 corresponds to a J type at the very least.

It's extremely disrespectful of you to lecture me and to try to "help" me when you're wrong.
I think you are too quick to take offense. He was quite respectful in his tone.

mancino

Enlightened!
MBTI Type
NFJ
Sorry for trespassing, it wasn't my intention. And sorry for sounding patronizing, it wasn't my intention either.
I thought that, as this is an open discussion about E1, it was in the best interest of everybody, including the OP, to refer to your case as an example to depict the E1 archetype with more concreteness.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, so I'm not really arguing with you here. As I said, I'm humbly adding some perspective to the discussion.

About whether MBTI and the Enneagram are inborn or not, it's more correct to objectively say that there is no agreement on the issue according to most respected sources. Just to quote one for each:

From the Enneagram Institute (Riso & Hudson)
Everyone emerges from childhood with one of the nine types dominating their personality, with inborn temperament and other pre-natal factors being the main determinants of our type. This is one area where most all of the major Enneagram authors agree—we are born with a dominant type. Subsequently, this inborn orientation largely determines the ways in which we learn to adapt to our early childhood environment. It also seems to lead to certain unconscious orientations toward our parental figures, but why this is so, we still do not know.

Official MBTI:
Although everyone has access to and uses all four mental functions, each type prefers to use these functions in a specific order. In type theory, the order in which we prefer these functions is considered to be inborn, although certainly this order can be changed when circumstances require us to make decisions or solve problems in an alternative manner than one we prefer.

mbti-notes, a well-respected Cognitive Functions source:
There is continual debate about how much of personality is inborn or when exactly these cognitive tendencies arise during childhood development but, so far, science does not have the technological means to answer such questions with certainty. It is my personal opinion after reviewing early development research that personality type is already set at birth. However, analogous to the concept of epigenetics, how a particular individual ends up expressing their personality throughout life is dependent upon how they interact with their environmental challenges. Every person is a unique example of their type.

So, it's safe to say that we don't know for sure; that both MBTI and the Enneagram have an inborn component and an environmental component, especially parenting; and that it's striking to see how Riso&Hudson and mbti-notes basically have the same view.

______

About E1 and INFP or Fi-dom in general, I'll restate my case (unrelate to your typing @Indigo Rodent , so as not to turn this debate into a type-me thread): I believe that a person being both E1 and Fi-dom (IFP) is very, very unlikely (I can't argue that it's impossible, as it's impossible to thoroughly prove that something is impossible).

Some educated sources about the issue:
(already linked)
Editor’s Note: Because of its emphasis on perfection, repression of sexual and other impulses, and rigid moral standards, certain types are less likely to be 1s (I have left them off). Sometimes 9w1 NFPs mistype as 1.
(then INFP is included in the list, though)

Then, the MBTI-Enneagram correlation table I've already linked from Typology Triad by @Vendrah here:
As you can see in the table, out of 294 self-proclaimed INFP, only 0,7% (21) claimed being 1w9, and none 1w2. Out of 90 ISFP, none claimed E1 at all.

Claudio Naranjo: in Character and Neurosis he explicitly quotes Jung:
We may discern the personality under consideration in Jung’s extraverted thinking type:16

“This type will, by definition, be a man whose constant endeavor—in so far, of course, as he is a pure type—is to make all his activities dependent on intellectual conclusions, which in the last resort are always oriented by objective data, whether these be external facts or generally accepted ideas. This type ofman elevates objective reality, or an objectively oriented intellectual formula, into the ruling principle not only for himself but for his whole environment. By this formula good and evil are measured, and beauty and ugliness determined. Everything that agrees with this formula is right, everything that contradicts it is wrong, and anything that passes by it indifferently is merely incidental. Because this formula seems to embody the entire meaning of life, it is made into a universal law which must be put into effect everywhere all the time, both individual and collectively. Just as the extraverted thinking type subordinates himself to his formula, so, for their own good, everybody round him must obey it too, for whoever refuses to obey it is wrong—he is resisting the universal law, and is therefore unreasonable, immoral, and without a conscience. His moral code forbids him to tolerate exceptions; his ideal must under all circumstances be realized, for in his eyes it is the purest conceivable formulation of objective reality, and therefore must also be a universally valid truth, quite indispensable for the salvation of mankind. This is not from any great love for his neighbor, but from the higher standpoint of justice and truth. Anything in his own nature that appears to invalidate this formula is a mere imperfection, an accidental failure, something to be eliminated on the next occasion, or, in the event of further failure, clearly pathological. If tolerance for the sick, the suffering, or the abnormal should chance to be an ingredient of the formula, special provisions will be made for human societies, hospitals, prisons, missions, and so on, or at least extensive plans will be drawn up.

Generally the motive of justice and truth is not sufficient to ensure the actual execution of such projects; for this, real Christian charity is needed, and this has more to do with feelings than with any intellectual formula. ‘Oughts’ and ‘musts’ bulk large in this program. If the formula is broad enough, this type may play a very useful role in social life as a reformer or public prosecutor or purifier of conscience, or as the propagator of important innovations. But the more rigid the formula, the more he develops into a martinet, a quibbler, and a prig, who would like to force himself and others into one world. Here we have the two extremes between which the majority of these types move.”
and Keirsey:
In the domain of testing applications of Jungian typology the best fit is to be found in the “ESTJ” (extraverted, withpredominance of sensation over intuition, thinking over feeling, judgment over perception). David Keirsey and Marilyn Bates say of these scorers that the best adjective to describe them would be “responsible.”17

From the list of traits, also from Naranjo: (bolding is mine)
Over-Control

What dominance—a transformation of anger—is to others, self-control is to perfectionism. Excessive control over one’s behaviors goes hand-in-hand with a characteristic rigidity, a sense of awkwardness, a lack of spontaneity with the consequent difficulty to function in non-structured situations and whenever improvisation is required. To others the over-control may result in boringness. Excessive control over one’s self extends, beyond outer behaviors to psychological functioning in general, so that thinking becomes excessively rule bound, i.e. logical and methodical, with loss of creativity and leaps of intuition. Control over feeling, on the other hand, leads not only to the blocking of emotional expression but even to alienation from emotional experience.

Contrast this with the official description of Perceiving/Judging preference by the MBTI official site:
(bolding is mine)

Judging (J)​

I use my decision-making (Judging) preference (whether it is Thinking or Feeling) in my outer life. To others, I seem to prefer a planned or orderly way of life, like to have things settled and organized, feel more comfortable when decisions are made, and like to bring life under control as much as possible.

Since this pair only describes what I prefer in the outer world, I may, inside, feel flexible and open to new information (which I am).

Do not confuse Judging with judgmental, in its negative sense about people and events. They are not related.

The following statements generally apply to me:
  • I like to have things decided.
  • I appear to be task oriented.
  • I like to make lists of things to do.
  • I like to get my work done before playing.
  • I plan work to avoid rushing just before a deadline.
  • Sometimes I focus so much on the goal that I miss new information.

Perceiving (P)​

I use my perceiving function (whether it is Sensing or Intuition) in my outer life. To others, I seem to prefer a flexible and spontaneous way of life, and I like to understand and adapt to the world rather than organize it. Others see me staying open to new experiences and information.

Since this pair only describes what I prefer in the outer world, inside I may feel very planful or decisive (which I am).

Remember, in type language perceiving means "preferring to take in information." It does not mean being "perceptive" in the sense of having quick and accurate perceptions about people and events.

The following statements generally apply to me:
  • I like to stay open to respond to whatever happens.
  • I appear to be loose and casual. I like to keep plans to a minimum.
  • I like to approach work as play or mix work and play.
  • I work in bursts of energy.
  • I am stimulated by an approaching deadline.
  • Sometimes I stay open to new information so long I miss making decisions when they are needed.

Or, if you prefer, a CogFun source, again, mbti-notes:
(bolding is mine, sorry long quote)

Dominant Fi (ISFP & INFP):

• Fi is a judging function that relies on personal feelings of congruency
  • Fi uses feelings to derive value judgments about good/bad
  • Fi uses feelings of integrity to encourage honorable character
  • IxFPs are naturals at honest appraisal and authentic expression
  • Healthy IxFPs are passionate, loyal, romantic, empathetic
  • Mature IxFPs are known for caring very deeply, so their actions always align with their values. They appreciate individual uniqueness and never hesitate to speak up for values/causes. At their best, they keep people in touch with their humanity and encourage unconditional self-acceptance.
  • Immature IxFPs display the negative aspects of Fi due to lack of objectivity, perhaps unable to relate to things outside of their personal experience. They tend to be moody, alienating, and even self-righteous, treating their feelings as fact, unaware of their own biases.
Signs that someone is NOT Fi dominant:

• weak identity; fuzzy moral judgment; few strong passions/preferences
  • not very affected by the personal; able to function fine even if unhappy
  • wary of emotional intensity; has to justify strong feelings/opinions
  • poor emotional awareness; believes feelings are biased/unreliable
Here are some questions for determining whether Fi is present, most of these should apply if the function is dominant (barring grip situations). If only some of them apply or only very infrequently, then the function might be lower in the stack or there could be some minor Feeling overlap with Fe. Remember that you are looking for consistent patterns throughout life. If writing a self-description for me to examine, provide representative examples from your life of the following:

• Do your feelings strongly inform everything, including your general attitude (positivity/negativity), your preferences (likes/dislikes/opinions), and decision making process? Flip side: Is it exceedingly difficult for you to ignore your feelings or go against them?
  • Is it very important to you to honor your feelings, opinions, beliefs, and values in everything you do? Do you easily become offended in situations that do not honor each person’s unique experience? Is your initial judgment of impersonal environments usually that they are “soulless”, which fuels a strong desire to disrupt the status quo?
  • Are you always in touch with how you feel? Do you enjoy expressing your feelings creatively? Do you believe that something is not right about people who appear to lack feeling (because you link feeling to humanity)?
  • When feeling low, do you feel alienated, frustrated that you aren’t able to express yourself with the impact that you hope to produce? Do you need a lot of alone time to nurse your feelings, both positive and negative, unable to be productive until you settle down emotionally?
  • Do you have a pattern of disliking people who seem: conforming, by-the-book, inauthentic, insincere, nosy, intrusive, domineering, disrespectful, unfeeling, impersonal, amoral?
  • Have you gotten recurring feedback about being (and/or feel sensitive to being labeled as): self-absorbed, self-righteous, moralizing, oversensitive, fragile, passive, weak, unconfident, flighty, uncommunicative, hard to reason with?

The agreement between J and E1 is quite evident, IMHO.
Also the opposition between Fi-dom and E1. One of the key incompatibilities is their relationship with their own emotional life: self-restraining vs self-indulgent.

I believe the common misunderstanding comes from the world "principles" and "idealism" that are used interchangeably among NFs, Fi-doms and E1, meaning different things (much as "thinking", for example).

TL;DR:
E1 represses feelings to the point of blocking and alienating themselves from their own emotional life;
Fi-dom is ruled by feelings to the point of self-absorption, passivity or oversensitivity.

As an aside, there is a strong connection between Fi-dom and E1, but not while being both core points:

I've already mentioned Fi-dom and 9w1, a quite common combination (in that table, 13,9% of INFPs and whopping 32,2% of ISFP, the most likely Etype+wing).

Most relevant is the Fi-dom E4 connection: in that table, 45,6% of INFP are 4w5, around 60% are core 4 or wing 4; for ISFP, around 1 out of 3)
And E1 and E4 are connected, so a very healthy IFP 4 can look like a 1, or a depressed E1 can look like a 4 and hence overlap with Fi-dom (for example, a Te-dom in Fi-grip, or a Te-aux in Fi tertiary loop). Mistypes ensue.

This is not set in stone, of course, but worth mentioning in a debate about what E1 is and what E1 is not.

mancino

Enlightened!
MBTI Type
NFJ
A little extra about the E1-E4 connection, from "The Wisdom of the Enneagram":

REACTING TO STRESS: ONE GOES TO FOUR

Under conditions of increased stress, average Ones long to be free of their burdens and obligations and may find themselves spending time in daydreams and fantasies of romance or escapes to exotic locales much like average Fours. They may also feel romantic and harbor forbidden longings for people they have encountered. As Ones, however, they are generally too self-inhibiting to inform the object of their desire of their true feelings, much less act on these feelings. If Ones do risk hinting at their interest in their fantasy “lover,” any rebuff or ridicule results in profound feelings of shame and a deeper resolve to hold their impulses at bay. Ones feel guilty for being irresponsible and become even stricter with themselves.

The move to Four can be seen as an indication of Ones’ growing disenchantment and alienation. They feel that no one understands them or how hard they are working, and they can suddenly become moody, melancholy, and withdrawn. Their discipline and self-control collapse into stormy feelings of envy and resentment. (“Everyone else is having a better life than me.”) Usually steady Ones may engage in unexpected displays of drama or pouting or in a highly affected way of behaving that seems out of character with their background. Emotional outbursts, moodiness, hostility, and social withdrawal can all be part of the picture. Should they be questioned about any of this, Ones will become even more painfully self-conscious and self-controlled.

In the lower Levels, the move to Four can lead Ones into growing self-indulgence and a willingness to give themselves a few exceptions to their own rules. After all, no one has been working as hard as they have. Who would fault them for having a few drinks or a steamy, illicit romance? In and of themselves, these behaviors might not be particularly harmful, but because these activities run counter to Ones’ superegos’ dictates, they become the source of even more pressure and anxiety. Further, Ones’ choices of distractions tend to be self-indulgent rather than truly nurturing, so they have little effect in actually relieving Ones’ tension and frustration. As they become more unhealthy, their superego becomes so severe that they may unconsciously seek more destructive escapes to counteract it.

THE PATH OF INTEGRATION: FOUR GOES TO ONE

Healthy Fours engage with reality through meaningful action. By committing themselves to principles and activities beyond the realm of their subjective reactions, Fours discover not only who they are but that who they are is good. They come more into contact with the immediacy of their instincts and become less entranced by the emotionally charged scenarios that play out in their minds.

Fours at One also realize that self-expression does not mean indulging in their moods. They willingly become self-disciplined, working consistently to contribute something worthwhile to their world. No longer aloof bystanders waiting to be recognized, they participate fully in life and develop a stronger sense of themselves through their work and through their connections with others.

This should not be confused, however, with adopting the critical or perfectionistic traits of the average One. Fours’ superegos are already punitive enough, so browbeating themselves with self-improvement projects can easily lead to further self-recrimination. Therefore it is important to develop another healthy One trait—discrimination. Fours learn what healthy Ones know: that the reality of a situation and our emotional responses to it are two different things.

Healthy Ones also exemplify acceptance of reality—working with the real components of a situation rather than resisting or rejecting them. Integrating Fours also understand that acceptance is the key to letting go of their past and creatively engaging with their lives in the present. With self-acceptance comes forgiveness for old mistakes and difficulties. With acceptance of others comes the ability to engage in mutually satisfying relationships. Fours no longer need to idealize others as rescuers or tear them off their pedestals for failing to live up to their unrealistic expectations. They see the other as other and can more accurately perceive their own valuable qualities without resorting to a Fantasy Self.

Finally, integrating Fours are able to build a lasting, genuine sense of identity and self-esteem because it is based on real-life actions and relationships rather than on their imagination or transient emotional states. They recognize qualities in themselves that were previously invisible: strength, willpower, determination, and clarity. Further, once Fours ground themselves in the moment, all aspects of life become occasions for creativity. Rather than being drawn into endless introspection or the turbulent stream of their emotional reactions, integrating Fours stay present to themselves and the world around them and thus begin to awaken to the deeper truths of the human heart. As they allow this process to unfold, their true identity reveals itself in every moment of their existence.

yeghor

View attachment 26478

Based on the above model I proposed earlier, an ISFP's enneagram coding would be = Fi-Se-Ni-Te = 4-8-1-6 = tritype 486 or 416.

1660495511424.png

1660495533161.png

They associated 416 tritype with INFJ but I think that is wrong and should still be ISFP. For it to be an INFJ, the tritype order should have 1 in the dominant position, i.e. should be 146, see below.

As can be seen below, E1-dominant tritypes have mostly been associated with INxJs on personality database.

Tritype 14x

Tritype 15x

Tritype 16x

Tritypes 12x and 13x

mancino

Enlightened!
MBTI Type
NFJ
Thanks for sharing, @yeghor .
Personally, I'm not a fan of tritrypes, I mostly stick with Naranjo, Riso&Hudson, Chestnut and Rohr, none of whom use them or even include them - not even in the comprehensive The Wisdom Of The Enneagram, which includes almost everything else.
I'll have a look a them, though.

A question: usually, stuff from PDB is collective in nature; however, these tritype-MBTI combos seems to have one and only one source: Kyamint. Is it so?

yeghor

Thanks for sharing, @yeghor .
Personally, I'm not a fan of tritrypes, I mostly stick with Naranjo, Riso&Hudson, Chestnut and Rohr, none of whom use them or even include them - not even in the comprehensive The Wisdom Of The Enneagram, which includes almost everything else.
I'll have a look a them, though.

A question: usually, stuff from PDB is collective in nature; however, these tritype-MBTI combos seems to have one and only one source: Kyamint. Is it so?
PDF members vote further down the page, you can see how many members voted for which MBTI type for a given enneagram tritype. Such as this:

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
@mancino & @Indigo Rodent

You two have two different ideas and conceptualizations of what an E1 is, and you have a lens that enhances entirely different part of the E1 description, giving more attention to one side or the other. @mancino is again on a more regular and popular route, while @Indigo Rodent is on a minority route of interpretation; Thus, for stats, @mancino definition is mostly the best but it does not explain everything - so for example INFJ E1 is quite harder to conceptualize on that perspective.

I still think that the issue is how the type E1 is constructed based on traits and beyond traits that neither correlates together nor forms any clusters of their own, and this can make people to have quite different visions of E1 and have divergent visions of E1 .This is an issue related to vagueness of the enneagram and different sources framing the types differently, but for E1 this is even worse due to the characteristics nor correlating neither clustering.

So, with the light of HEXACO, E1 can split into two entirely different routes:

1) Mainly Conscientiousness route & minor Low Openness
"Conscientiousness: Persons with very high scores on the Conscientiousness scale organize their time and their physical surroundings, work in a disciplined way toward their goals, strive for accuracy and perfection in their tasks, and deliberate carefully when making decisions. Conversely, persons with very low scores on this scale tend to be unconcerned with orderly surroundings or schedules, avoid difficult tasks or challenging goals, are satisfied with work that contains some errors, and make decisions on impulse or with little reflection."

"The Organization scale assesses a tendency to seek order, particularly in one's physical surroundings. Low scorers tend to be sloppy and haphazard, whereas high scorers keep things tidy and prefer a structured approach to tasks.

The Diligence scale assesses a tendency to work hard. Low scorers have little self-discipline and are not strongly motivated to achieve, whereas high scorers have a strong "'work ethic" and are willing to exert themselves.

The Perfectionism scale assesses a tendency to be thorough and concerned with details. Low scorers tolerate some errors in their work and tend to neglect details, whereas high scorers check carefully for mistakes and potential improvements."

2) Honesty (forget humility) route
"Honesty-Humility: Persons with very high scores on the Honesty-Humility scale avoid manipulating others for personal gain, feel little temptation to break rules, are uninterested in lavish wealth and luxuries, and feel no special entitlement to elevated social status. Conversely, persons with very low scores on this scale will flatter others to get what they want, are inclined to break rules for personal profit, are motivated by material gain, and feel a strong sense of self-importance."

"The Sincerity scale assesses a tendency to be genuine in interpersonal relations. Low scorers will flatter others or pretend to like them in order to obtain favors, whereas high scorers are unwilling to manipulate others.

The Fairness scale assesses a tendency to avoid fraud and corruption. Low scorers are willing to gain by cheating or stealing, whereas high scorers are unwilling to take advantage of other individuals or of society at large."

Enneagram institute features both:

"Ones are conscientious (conscientiousness route) and ethical (honesty route), with a strong sense of right and wrong. They are teachers, crusaders, and advocates for change: always striving to improve things, but afraid of making a mistake. Well-organized, orderly, and fastidious, they try to maintain high standards, but can slip into being critical and perfectionistic. They typically have problems with resentment and impatience. At their Best: wise, discerning, realistic, and noble. Can be morally heroic.

• Basic Fear: Of being corrupt/evil, defective
  • Basic Desire: To be good, to have integrity, to be balanced
  • Enneagram One with a Nine-Wing: "The Idealist"
  • Enneagram One with a Two-Wing: "The Advocate"
Key Motivations: Want to be right, to strive higher and improve everything, to be consistent with their ideals, to justify themselves, to be beyond criticism so as not to be condemned by anyone."

So you can understand and highlight E1 in the high Conscientiousness/low Openness route as mostly the figure of the "compulsive", the perfectionistic person who is closed-minded and etc... And that is @mancino ' s route. That is also the route people mostly follow as seen in statistics (I won't explain in depth because I must avoid as much as I can citing the associations of MBTI and honesty sadly), they follow the general understanding of @mancino route. So yeah, for E1 on that route, ISTJ is the most related standard MBTI type, on the functions route Te E1 are quite friendly to each other, while some Myers-friendly definitions of Si are a good match as well, and Fi does not relate at all to type E1.

But then, there is the other minor route: The honesty one. It changes the game entirely on the MBTI-Speaking; When we get to the Honesty one, we get to the moral one; Morals on cognitive functions route can be quite divergent but mostly relates to Feeling (aka shared values or personal values depending on E/I orientation); Fi relates to authenticity, and authentic and honesty are traits that more or less correlates. The key motivations of "want to be right", fear of corruption, etc... all get along with the traits. Then, through this route, you have an E1 who is friendly to Feeling function, hence friendly to Fi and Fe. This is a very minor route, this is the @Indigo Rodent route.

In my own opinion, the most faulty thing is the type E1 itself; The type is simply not real and this is actually much beyond my opinion because it neither relates to a cluster (so you have to basically re-interpret it to frame it as an existing cluster or personality pattern that is real, such as the compulsive) nor to traits that actually correlate and belongs to a single dimension. These two are things I am not entering in depth and they require knowing my "X Types diary". And there is a misleading idea that conscientiousness relates to honesty and being reliable, and that idea is proven to be false by the HEXACO system on itself - there are cheaters along conscientious and unconscietious people. On most scenarios, only an Amazon (yeah, the forest) surroundings this changes.

PDB is more diffuse and more dynamic than it seems. At first, there seems to be indeed a fight for standarization of the systems, its all for cognitive functions and nay for dichotomy. But deep down, to the disgust of those dogmatic to the cognitive functions, there are a good bunch of silent dichotomy voters. In the same way, although most of them understands E1 on the High Conscientiousness, Low Openness fashion, on a few times for a few characters the other definition of righteous will be the one used, so there are a few INFP E1 characters type there both as characters and some members and there are a few (but even less) INFP 1 on the table of typology triad.

yeghor

So you can understand and highlight E1 in the high Conscientiousness/low Openness route as mostly the figure of the "compulsive", the perfectionistic person who is closed-minded and etc... And that is @mancino ' s route. That is also the route people mostly follow as seen in statistics (I won't explain in depth because I must avoid as much as I can citing the associations of MBTI and honesty sadly), they follow the general understanding of @mancino route. So yeah, for E1 on that route, ISTJ is the most related standard MBTI type, on the functions route Te E1 are quite friendly to each other, while some Myers-friendly definitions of Si are a good match as well, and Fi does not relate at all to type E1.
What if E1 is an high conscientousness and high openness type? Why can't it be highly conscientous and open to different ideas at the same time? Are they mutually excluside traits?

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
What if E1 is an high conscientousness and high openness type? Why can't it be highly conscientous and open to different ideas at the same time? Are they mutually excluside traits?
Because "Closed-minded", "Rigid", "Standards" (and standarization), "rules"; As I said, Openness is minor but also relevant.
Actually, I posted somewhere the enneagram / big five, E1 is High Conscientiousness, Low Openness, High Emotional Stability, neutral on Extraversion and Agreeableness as far as I remember. Obsessive-compulsive is High Conscientiousness and Low Openness similarly, while the most similar cluster-type is Low Extraversion, High Emotional Stability, High Conscietiousness, High Agreeableness, Low Openess, RCOAN, and I have good reasons to believe it is neutral on Emotional Stability I don't remember the order of importance anymore.

Although I jumped to Big Five, Conscientiousness, Openness, Extraversion are very similar on Big Five and HEXACO, with Agreeableness deviating a bit and Neuroticism/Emotionality being quite different and Honesty-Humility being sort of different from Big Five Agreeableness (Big Five Agreeableness unite Honesty-Humility and HEXACO Agreeableness).

yeghor

Because "Closed-minded", "Rigid", "Standards" (and standarization), "rules"; As I said, Openness is minor but also relevant.
Actually, I posted somewhere the enneagram / big five, E1 is High Conscientiousness, Low Openness, High Emotional Stability, neutral on Extraversion and Agreeableness as far as I remember. Obsessive-compulsive is High Conscientiousness and Low Openness similarly, while the most similar cluster-type is Low Extraversion, High Emotional Stability, High Conscietiousness, High Agreeableness, Low Openess, RCOAN, and I have good reasons to believe it is neutral on Emotional Stability I don't remember the order of importance anymore.

Although I jumped to Big Five, Conscientiousness, Openness, Extraversion are very similar on Big Five and HEXACO, with Agreeableness deviating a bit and Neuroticism/Emotionality being quite different and Honesty-Humility being sort of different from Big Five Agreeableness (Big Five Agreeableness unite Honesty-Humility and HEXACO Agreeableness).

What if they are a healthy one? After all, one cannot find what is right or wrong or what is true and what is not without keeping an open mind and double checking their conclusions all the time.

1660550956696.png
1660550995018.png

yeghor

What if they are a healthy one? After all, one cannot find what is right or wrong or what is true and what is not without keeping an open mind and double checking their conclusions all the time.

View attachment 26676
View attachment 26677

It would sound someting like this. At any time truths/rights/wrongs actually have varying degrees of certainty attached to them and are always open to reevaluation. It's a bit like fuzzy logic. It's not as black and white thinking as the outsiders may perceive it to be. The outward expression may sound like black and white and rigid but the internal process used for assessment is anything but rigid.

Fuzzy logic is a form of many-valued logic in which the truth value of variables may be any real number between 0 and 1. It is employed to handle the concept of partial truth, where the truth value may range between completely true and completely false.[1] By contrast, in Boolean logic, the truth values of variables may only be the integer values 0 or 1.

Feynman - Uncertainty of Knowledge

mancino

Enlightened!
MBTI Type
NFJ
@Vendrah , thanks for weighing in. You are most insightful, as usual.

I still think that the issue is how the type E1 is constructed based on traits and beyond traits that neither correlates together nor forms any clusters of their own, and this can make people to have quite different visions of E1 and have divergent visions of E1 .This is an issue related to vagueness of the enneagram and different sources framing the types differently,
Yep. I've double-checked my Enneagram sources and you are right. Naranjo is my source for the OCPD E1, with Low Openness and no trace of Honesty or Fi.

Riso&Hudson (The Enneagram Institute) are more diffuse, including honesty and other things, with a much more positive description.
I can see why people can associate E1 with Fi or Ni for that matter, following R&H.

However, I believe it is mainly due to the positive spin most sources have around the Enneagram. In Naranjo's words, most teachers flatter their audience by turning compulsive fixations into positive description (the infamous Forer effect).

But in Character and Neurosis it is all quite clear. (A caveat: the framework is "pick your brand of insanity" so there are just negative traits for each and all the types). From the introduction:

The first approach is this one:
1660553003745.jpeg
this is even before expanding the Triangle into the 9 points.
What interests us is the Unconsciousness vertex, associated with E9 and with the 8-9-1 Triad.

We may say that the distinction between the “higher” and the “lower” conditions is not only one of abundant love vs. deficient desiring. Still a more complete formulation is that which we find in Buddhism as an explanation of human fallenness in terms of what is called the “three poisons.” In the triangular diagram below we may see depicted an interdependence of an active unconsciousness on one hand (commonly called ignorance in Buddhist terminology) and on the other a pair of opposites that constitute alternative forms of deficiency motivation: unconsciousness, aversion, and craving.
So, to restate it: 8-9-1 is ACTIVE, UNCONSCIOSNESS (to inner Self) and IGNORANCE.

Finally, there is a contrast to be observed between the top and the bottom of the enneagram. While type IX, at the top, represents a maximum of what I have called a defensive extraversion—i.e., an avoidance of inwardness—that goes hand-in-hand with contentedness, the bottom of the enneagram represents a maximum of inwardness and also discontentedness.

Types I and VIII also belong together in the enneagram as mirror images of each other, at each side of point IX. I have characterized them, when speaking of the characters adjoining type IX, as anti-moral and over-moral, but it remains to say of them that otherwise they share an active disposition.

Just to have a reference: this is Intuition in MBTI, as per Keirsey:
iNtuition = Introspective
(I know this is not the mainstream view, but this is my position on the matter, according to the following, from the notes of "Please Understand Me II")

1 Extraversion or Introversion

While Jung considered the distinction between extraversion (E) and introversion (I) as the most important of his dimensions of personality, I think of it as least useful in J-P. Presumably extreme extraverts and extreme introverts are easy to spot, and that may be the reason the Jungians and therefore the Myersians consider the concept to be so important.

Important or not, Myers's E-I scale is badly flawed because she inherited Jung's error of confusing extraversion with observation (S) and introversion with introspection (N). [...]

2 Sensation or Intuition

Carl Jung used the words 'sensation' and 'sensing' (S) to mean paying attention to what isgoing on outside ourselves, that is, external attention. Thus 'sensation' may be used synonymously with three words pertaining to external attention,'observation,' 'externalization,' and 'exteroception.'

In contrast, Jung gave us two engaging metaphors to convey how he used the word 'intuition' (N). Intuition, he said, is "listening to the inner voice" or "heeding the promptings from within." The word 'intuition' is engaging because it literally means "internal attention." We pay attention to what is going on inside ourselves with our mind's eye and our mind's ear, these promptings coming as thoughts and feelings. Thus 'intuition' can be used synonymously with three other terms pertaining to internal attention, 'introspection,' 'internalization,' and 'interoception.' So we can contrast 'introspection' with 'observation,' 'internalization' with 'externalization,' and 'interoception' with 'exteroception.'

For the purposes of describing personality types, I have found the easiest and most accurate terms to be 'introspection' and 'observation.'

Very simply, we observe objects through our senses. Thus we look at objects to see them, listen to sounds to hear them, touch surfaces to feel them, sniff odors to smell them, and mouth substances to taste them. We can observe what is present, but not what isn't present. Whatever isn't present to our senses we can only imagine by means of introspection.

Naturally, all of us do both observation and introspection, but it is a rare individual who does an equal amount of each. The vast majority of us, maybe 85%, spend most of our waking hours looking at, listening to, and touching objects in our immediate presence, and very little of our time introspecting, that is, making inferences, imagining, daydreaming, musing, or wondering about things not in our presence.

The point not to be missed is that we cannot do these things simultaneously. When we observe what's going on around us, we cannot at the same time observe what's going on within us. We may alternate our attention, but we cannot divide it. Some of us, from infancy on, seem to be more raptly attentive to inner promptings, others, to outer promptings. The reason for this difference in attention is not at all clear, and certainly it is a matter of conjecture. But if the reason for this preference in attention is obscure, the consequences of it are not. Those of us who attend inwardly much of the time as children strengthen that preference, our inner voice becoming louder and clearer, our inner promptings more vivid and complex. Likewise, those of us who heed the external much of the time come to see and hear objects in more detail and with greater specificity.

Now, if we look at Myers's type descriptions, people are either more observant than introspective, or more introspective than observant. Observers (SPs and SJs) seem more at home when looking after the particulars of everyday living, attending to concrete things — food, clothing, shelter, transportation — and to practical matters such as recreation and safety, and are likely to leave the more abstract issues to others. In turn, Introspectors (NTs and NFs) tend to be more content when these concrete concerns are handled by someone else and they are left free to consider the more abstract world of ideas. This does not mean, of course, that Observer types are without an inner life — far from it — but simply that their introspection takes a back seat to their observation. Nor does this mean that Introspector types are unaware of the objects around them — not at all — but simply that they are more inclined to become absorbed in their ideas.

To put this difference another way, Observers might be called "earthlings" or "terrestrials," concrete, down-to-earth beings who keep their feet on the ground. These persons see what is in front of them and are usually accurate in catching details. It is said that "they don't miss much." Observers want facts, trust facts, and remember facts, and they want to deal with the facts of a situation as they are, either in the here and now, or as recorded in the past. They focus on what is happening, or what has happened, rather than anticipating what might be, what would happen if, or what might occur in the future.

In contrast, Introspectors might be called "extraterrestrials," abstract beings who live with their head in the clouds, strangers in a strange land who wonder about the curious antics of the earthlings. Absorbed as they often are in their internal world, Introspectors tend to miss a great deal of what's right around them — current reality is merely a problem to be solved, or a stage of development toward some future ideal. Not only can they miss details, they can also lose track of where they are, and for instance drive right past their highway turn-off. "It's only reality" they sometimes say, to register their relative disinterest in the merely concrete. But more than disinterest, Introspectors can be discontent with reality, even bothered by it, and speculate about possible ways of improving it.

Because of their tenuous grasp of reality, Introspectors can appear to Observers as flighty, impractical, and unrealistic — the dreamer or absent-minded professor who can't be bothered with the nitty-gritty of living. For their part, Observers can seem to Introspectors as unimaginative, concerned only with trivial pursuits, and exasperatingly slow to consider implications and possibilities. Both views are exaggerations. Indeed, both kinds of people are capable and even creative in their own way — it's just that they attend to very different sides of life, with the other side getting short-changed.

Thus Observers can manage the material world with skill, but the penalty they pay for ignoring the promptings from within is that these promptings can gradually fade away, and they may end up with relatively undeveloped introspective abilities. They may now and then introspect, but not for long and with little pleasure. On the other hand, Introspectors practice introspection much of their time, and with pleasure, but the penalty they pay for this is that they can end up with relatively undeveloped observational abilities.

The two ways are not mutually exclusive. Introspectors have no choice but to turn outward at times and concern themselves with the business of everyday living, while Observers do occasionally look inward to ponder, and dream, and make inferences. Such excursions can even be stimulating and satisfying, but neither type can be in both worlds at once, and each will usually show a strong preference for one over the other. For both types, the vitality, the immediacy, and the significance of life is found more easily in their own world, while what is central to the other's world seems relatively foreign, uninteresting, and unimportant.

With this definitions, I hardly see any of the 8-9-1 types and N being compatible.
8-9-1 is Unconsciousness to the inside, no introspection
N is Introspection per definition, listening to the inner voice, IN-tuition.

I understand this puts me into a fringe view in the typology community.
I also acknowledge that different sources frame things differently, and that Ni can be "gut knowing" and Ni-Fe "gut knowing what is good according to shared values", hence quite possibly E1 according to, say, The Enneagram Institute and mainstream CogFun. But I respectfully disagree.

Different definitions, different typings of the same people.
This is why most sources refer to, say, Gandhi, as E1, while Nananjo has him as a E6.

Or, for example, you can read the PDB debate about typing Maximus from Gladiator - a character we all know well - a very clear E1 (>90%) and a clear TJ, but split into half between ENTJ and ISTx.
A cursory look will show you how it's really a matter of definitions.